Need help rigging a lizard

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by lightningmetal10, Apr 22, 2006.

1. lightningmetal10

lightningmetal10 New Member

State:
    new york
    I have read countless ways to rig on the internet on rigging the carolina style and texas style and frankly i dotn truly trust alot of people somewhere in god knows where. I was just wondering if anyone has a good site or way of learning to rig a lizard C or T style... Pictures would be great because I have no idea what I am doing.
    Joe

2. bmc2133

bmc2133 New Member

State:
    louisiana

3. knapperheadmatt

knapperheadmatt New Member

State:
    texas
    joe, i catch alot of bass on lizards and this time of the year they can be deadly beause bass will hit them just to kill them to keep them from eating their eggs. i always trow a c-rig with a short leader by most standards, maybe 14". this seems to help my hook up ratio cause theres less slack in the line at hook set. always set the hook with a sweeping motion this will increase your hook ups as well.i try to throw pumpkin seed or watermelon seed the most. the c-rig is a good structure rig,you can probe alot of water pretty quickly and when the fish hit they usually hammer it.
    hope this helps.
    matt

4. lightningmetal10

State:
    new york
    Thanks alot guys you guys were very helpful!:)

5. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Hey Joe, I use a lizard alot fishin' for bass. I like the Berkely Power Lizard or Glup in a watermellon color. I use a 4/0 Gamakatsu extra wide gap hook. I rig them Texas style. No pictures to show ya, but maybe I can give some detail into how I rig it.
    Start at the head of the lizard and go half the length of the Gamakatsu point. Push the point out the bottom of the head (about half the length of the head. Turn the lizard as you run the hook through the two places in the head. Your lizard head should rest on the bend shaft where the line ties to the eye. Now push the point through the bottom of the lizard just about between the front legs or just past the front legs. Push it stright up through the body and out the top. Your hook should be pointing towards the head of the lizard. Now push the body forward just a lil bit, enough that the hook point can be incerted into the loose skin of the lizard. Push the point into (but not too deep) the skin and pull the lizard back. Ya only need to skin hook the point. This is done to make it weedless. Works very well. Your lizard should lay stright with no bends in the body or head, with the point barley into the top of the lizards back. Use a 1/16 or 1/8 oz bullet weight and glass bead. If ya like to Carolina rig it just use a thooth pic to peg the bead or sinker at the length ya like. This allows ya to go "T" style or "C" style with the same rig.
    I really like, no I love the Spider wire with this worm setup. You can tell and feel everthing that lizard is doing. I can even tell if it's a hard bottom or soft. Don't set the hook to hard using Braided line or ya may rip a hole in the mouth and miss the fish. It's more of a quick wrist set.

6. lightningmetal10

State:
    new york
    Thank you for all ur help especially the last post btw... I got the rigging down. This may soudn very newbish Buto ne last question on the Texas rig when u add a bullet weight and a bead are they strained from moving some how because when i fished it it was collecting weeds o nthe weedless hook liek a monster and that jus tdoesnt seem right... How do u rig it with the bullet weight and beed?

7. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    where on the hook are you gathering weeds? on the hook you use you can kind of just barely tuck the hooks point back into the bait (just under the "skin") and it'll help it stay more weedless... and the bullet weight and bead go on before the hook put the narrow end on the line first and thread it through to the wider end (i teach a summer fishing camp you don't know how many kids put it on the wrong way, it'd amaze you) ... if you want to peg it down to the worm/lizard i would use either a toothpick or a bobbin threader (flytying and sewing) and a thin rubber band (that you can cut... either jam the toothpick in the hole (small end) or run the bobbin threader through the hole and pull the rubber band part of the way through and clip it.

8. lightningmetal10

State:
    new york
    I fixed it! two nice size bass on it today thanks again guys!