Need help quick on buying a boat

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by flathunter, Jan 28, 2006.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have been looking for a 14ft jon boat, and just got this great offer, I know this person but there is a catch, can I get it tiltled in my name..Below is the email I got.

Hi Jack, My son has a 14 ft Jon boat with trailor and brand new troller motor But...........he lost the registration paper when he moved and its still in the guys name that he got it from Do you know any way of recovering one ? He cant remember guys name ? I know boats are different than cars....He wants 250.00 for all and I know for a fact motor is new as we bought it for him.........

2. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Jack each state is different when it comes to those boat titles..here in Missouri if you don't have one your SOL.

3. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Call your DMV office and see what they can tell you.
    Some states you can get by with a bill of sale, or you may be able to get a lost title thru the boat hull ID #

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    man thats a heck of a deal! id wait till monday and contact the liscense bureau or call a boat dealer. now all ya need is a small "mud devil" to get up and down that river of yours:D

5. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Jack, between Spoonfish and Dinkbuster, I think you've got all the help you need. Good luck with the boat. Vern

6. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    Jack,
    You can run the hull ID with the Watercraft dept. since the other guy never changed it over the boat is still titled in the first guys name, it may be tough to get it changed over, but with some effort you may have sucsess, Ohio is very picky when it comes to titled boats. You have to go to the Watercraft Dept. in your county, good luck hope everything falls in place for you........Doc

7. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    A 14 foot boat in the state of Ohio has no title only a registration. It has to be 15 or 16 feet I think, definitely one of those two. If you go to your deputy registrar you may be able to get a line on the guy if privacy laws don't get in the way, or you can get new numbers and registration if you tell them it is homemade. However I would run the numbers to make sure it hasn't been turned in as stolen.

The motor has a title. This information is run through your county title office. Even if the "seller" isn't from your county, you can still get the info from your title office located in your county. Good luck.

8. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    It would be tough in Texas. I have a motor that I have been trying to title, bills of sale. letter from manufacter and still can't title it.
    Jim

9. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Like I said Jack, I think we'll be in good shape. Let me shake the apple tree at work Monday. ;)