Need help preserving and using Forstner bits.

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by peewee williams, Dec 7, 2008.

1. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I just aquired my first set of cheapTitanium Nitride coated Forstner drill bits.The shanks are not coated.I think they cost $5.00 total.I do want to preserve them.I grease coat my drill bits like I do my other tools for storage and clean them with solvent before use with solvent if nessary for wood.

How do you folks preserve and keep the rust off of these kind of bits?

Also,what speeds should these bits be used at?

2. FISHSKINNER

FISHSKINNER Member

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Mike
    I don't put anything on them but WD-40. As far as speed goes It depends on the bit size and the density of the wood you are drilling. For 3/8 to 1/2 inch in hard wood 1800 rpm is about the maximum and for 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inch in hard wood 400 to 500 rmp is about the maximum. Forstners are designed to be used in drillpresses, but I have used them in handheld drills you just have to be careful not to tilt your drill after you have started and to keep the pressure consistant.

3. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Fishskinner said it. WD-40 for me too. The cheaper forstner bits will burn up at high speeds in hard woods especially in maple.

4. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Thanks all.I can go from 240-3600 RPM on the 3/4 HP bench drill press.I am OK there.I now have to figure a reason for using them.

Will standard dowel rods normally fit well in the same size holes drilled with these bits?I mean like 1/2" dowel to !/2" Forstner bit drilled hole?

I just could find nothing on the preservation for storage and I have never stored any Titanium Nitride coating and no Titanium since the mid 60's.

I normally thin a very good multi grease with Naphtha and dip or spray all of my tools and fasteners.The Naphtha evaporates and leaves the metal with a thin coating of this very good grease.I started this years ago when I lived 2 blocks from the Atlantic Ocean and the WD 40 that I had always used just did not do the job.I now have stuff I dipped and stored 30 years ago at the beach,still with no rust.Being that I now live inland,it is often overkill now.

5. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I have a set that I use on Plexiglass, wood and aluminum, I varie the speed according to size and material. My favorite friend is a blow gun, drill a bit back out and clear the hole, rinse and repeat. Mine are cheapies and I just touch them up with a hand stone.

6. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Pee Wee, Fish Skinner pretty well summed it up. As for the dowels, you will find that the dowels you buy at Lowes or Home Depot are undersized. If you want true sized dowels you may have to make them yourself. The forstner bits themselves usually will drill a hole the size the bit says they are.

7. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    i got a cheapo set iv had for years wd40 works fine and yes dowls fit nice and snug in the holes you drill

8. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    i agree wd40 is great stuff to keep rust away

9. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I am very interested in the ability to drill clean holes with a bottom and at a angle with a drill press.

I have drilled and cut many thousands of holes in metal in my life as a mechanic.Now I have drilled hundreds of holes in wood in my 62 years but it was as a handyman.I am far short of being a carpenter and only had the basic tools at home for most of my life.The drill press and foot switch was got for me because I now have trouble with a portable drill motor.