Need help picking Baitfeeder reel (Spinning)

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by SeaBass, Jul 14, 2009.

1. SeaBass

SeaBass New Member

State:
    Vermont
    I would like to purchase 2 new Spinning reels with the baitfeeder function.
    They will most likely be mounted on 7' M Ugly Tigers.
    I'm leaning towards the Okuma Avenger ABF-65. I would probably buy the Shimano 6500 if I was only buying one but can't swing 2 of them right now.

Is it worth the money to upgrade to the Epixor EB 65? Also the ABF-65 and ABF-90 are the same price at the Catfish Connection. Should I go with the 90 over the 65. I don't think I will need the extra line but since this rod will just be sitting in the holder I guess the extra weight wouldn't be a big factor.

2. rosscatman

rosscatman Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    The Okuma Avenger ABF-65 is a excellent choice or even better the Okuma abf 90 it can hold over 300 yards of 30 lb test I have 2 of them and lovem.

3. SeaBass

SeaBass New Member

State:
    Vermont
    Well I just ordered 2 7' M Ugly Stick Tigers and 2 Okuma ABF-90 reels.
    I was going to go with the ABF-65 But they were the same price and for only .4 oz more weight I go from 320 YDS of 20# mono to 330 YDS of 30# mono. Might be a little bit of over kill for channel cats but I will never be under gunned!:wink:

4. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    I would opt for the Shimano baitrunner for flats. Channels don't usually run off with a bait like flats do.

:cool2:

5. cathunter47

cathunter47 New Member

State:
    wy
    I use an avenger 30 baitrunner for channels. Great reels for the money. Also have a Diawa regal baitrunner. If I ever get another it will be another Avenger.

6. SeaBass

SeaBass New Member

State:
    Vermont
    Well, my reels arrived Monday and wow they are huge! They are a little bigger than I wanted, but I think the 65 was the same reel with a smaller spool (weight almost the same). I definitely don't need to worry about being spooled by any channel cats! They actually balance out OK on the 7' Tiger rods. These are my first baitfeeder(runner) reels. Can't wait to try them out! These reels seem to be well built good quality reels. Time will tell.

7. DTro

DTro Active Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I see you already bought your reels, I was about to say that the 65's are really large. I prefer the discontinued 55 series.

For anyone else, the Penn Live Liners in the 50 series is a good option. I've had good luck with mine.

Also the Cabelas Salt Striker BF reels are the same as the Okuma at a lighter price:big_smile:

Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
  8. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i have 2 shimano's a saltstriker and an okuma, if i could only pick 2 of them i'd go with the shimano and a saltstriker, the saltstriker is very smooth with 10 ball bearings, and at a great price, i think the one i have is the 65 model, and the clicker is a little louder than the okuma

9. SeaBass

SeaBass New Member

State:
    Vermont
    You must be using braid if you are using the Captiva 5000's. I have 2 of them (not the LL). I like to use 30# BBG. The spool on the 5000 fills up real quick with 30 lb mono. That said I plan on switching to braid on my 5000's for Bowfin. I wanted at least the line Cap of the 65 for Catfish. Almost bought 2 Captiva 6000 liveliners but read too many bad reviews about the Captiva LL's. Glad to hear your's are working well.