Need help on value

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Jollymon, Oct 5, 2009.

1. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Last Monday while getting ready for the N.C. gathering i accidentally set my garage on fire . To make a long story short i fell an spilled some chemicals an lost a cig in a trash can .Yeah i know i should not smoke but i do . Due to the fire all my surf rods .an trolling rods an some reels were burnt up .Question i have is where can i look to find the cost to replace them .Also my car had some damage to it also ,working with insurance com. now on the claims . So be careful when ever you do anything :embarassed: any help i could get on how to find the value would be appreciated

Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
  2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    What brand of reels and rods? Also did you have pictures?

3. Jollymon

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    No i did not have pics ,but i wish i had . 1 fenwick Atlantic stick .2 penn slammers 11 1/2 foot rods a couple Hatteras heavers AN 3 custom trolling rods .reels 1 Mitchell 486 2- 6/o penn senators specials an 1- 4/0 penn sen.special ,plus 2 - ugly sticks 7 1/2 foot med heavy rods ,plus a couple penn 104 reels on penn rods about 8 ft long . Out of all the gear that got messed up the fenwich bothers me the most ,that rod my father got for me before he passed away :sad2:

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Dickie were sorry to hear of your accident and loss. I hope you get the insurance replacement cost worked out and you can replace the lost items.

5. fmb

fmb New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    probally be cheaper to replace everything your self...insurance ppl don't like "self inflicted wounds" to much and I'm sure your pay more in the long run...

they usually poke and prode around alot when it's the owners fault...even if it's a accident... be prepaird

hope all goes your way

6. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Very Sorry Dickey. Glad your alright and it didn't get to your house. Good luck and again sorry.

7. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    Man that sucks I hate to hear about your news.I hope you get a good settlement.

8. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    All my reels and rods are ROLEX's :wink:

9. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have no Idea what that is worth,I think A google search of Manufacturers will give you a current value ,Be sure to add shipping cost as well. I hope things work out for you and I'm glad you werent hurt.

10. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    You don't have replacement cost home owners insurance?
    It's the ONLY way to go.
    You lose a 25 year old 3 wheeler worth 300 bucks and replace it with a 5000 dollar 4 wheeler.

You shouldnt have to be concerned with how much something was worth because they'll derate it's value anyway.
    The only thing of importance is how much it's going to cost to replace what you lost today and not 25 years ago.

11. Jollymon

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Yes i do have replacement cost ins ,its just on a lot of the stuff that got damaged they don,t make any longer ,thats why i was asking for places to find the value of stuff , for the inventory sheet

12. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Try Ebay or go to a local pawn shop.some of those guys can do that kind of stuff.
    smokey

13. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Dickie, sorry for your loss. The insurance company will deduct a certain percentage since they were not new. Don't expect enough coverage to replace them all with new stuff. That's just the unfortunate way it is.

Bill in SC

14. puppypal

puppypal New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Ar
    Sorry Dicke! HUGS
    Well ya have to understand I am not a fan when it comes to insurance first off. Next I would find the highest priced place to go off of in case they still want to cut it down. Replacement or not. Been there done that... Then on your antique or vintage idems I would do a search for market value of them idems with a antique type website. I do know there are several different ones on coin collecting and barbies etc so you should find them on fishing equipment. Good luck...
    One thing is right that your guy said be slow and search.......

15. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    If you have replacement cost insurance you are making it too complicated.
    All you need to do is go shopping.
    Price what you will replace it with. The value of what you had is really a moot point at this point.

To give you an idea, I had lightening run in a phone line several years back.
    One of the items I lost was a pentium 166 computer. WAAAAY outdated.
    It was worthless.
    Cost to replace my worthless computer was 2000 bucks.

All I did was shop for replacements and submit replacement cost.
    They cut the check minus the deductable and minus 500 bucks they held back until I made my purchases and produced the receipts of my purchases. At that point they released the remaining 500.
    If it's not made anymore it's not made anymore. You replace it with what is made.

Had an ice storm collapse a barn shelter that was built in the 40's. It was made out of trees not dimensional lumber. It was all but fell down to begin with. You can't value that shelter but you can value what it would cost to build a new one. 4500 bucks.
    They wrote the check and held back 700 bucks until I got the shelter built and the adjuster saw it. Then they released the remaining 700.

The idea is not to screw the insurance company over. The idea is find something comparable at today's prices.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  16. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I LOVE Farm Bureau.
    They have always been johhny on the spot when I needed them and even covered me when I really wasn't covered.
    i had someone wreck one of my vehicles that was living in my house. That person was not listed on my policy as a driver.
    18 months later a lawsuit pops up against that uninsured driver.

Farm Bureau jumped on it with their attorneys and kicked major butt.
    They didn't have to but did. I fear anyone else would have swung me off the flag pole.