Need help on the lower James!

Discussion in 'LOCAL VIRGINIA TALK' started by freshbaitrules, Mar 10, 2008.

1. freshbaitrules

freshbaitrules New Member

State:
    virginia
    I'm new to this site, and have recently posted a message asking for some help for a starting spot on the James.

I dont know what I did wrong but I have not gotten any response.

Someone please let me know if I'm doing this right. I see other posts and lots of people have responded.

What do I have to do.

Thanks for any help. Please help.

2. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    Boat or bank, where do you live?

3. freshbaitrules

State:
    virginia
    Just getting back out on the river and will be launching from dutch gap and from Ann Carrows after work some days.

4. Reel Tight

Reel Tight New Member

State:
    Va
    I saw your other post. It is tough to answer that kind of question because if someone tells you where to go and have a good chance of catching a prized fish then we have told you one of our good holes. Of course we could tell you just some random place and just hope you lucked out and got one but there are some good people on here they wouldnt do that.

If you are in a smaller boat especially this month being as windy and cold as it is I would recomend going up river, around the Jimmy Dean and Osborne area.
    Here are some places I have caught a few citation fish, in that area. With 1 being what I think is the best place and going down in productivity as numbers go up.
    1. Rock pile across from Jimmy Deans the one right at the mouth of dupont pond. Anchor about 30-50 foot out from the rockpile towards the middle of the river. Should be 20-25 foot of water. Make shure to get a good spread on the rods with some towards the pond mouth and some towards channel. This is best on outgoing tide but I have caught fish on both. Incomming you may want to anchor up a little different.
    2. The bank directly across the river is good also. Use your finder to mark structure or fish and set up. There is plenty of fishable structure between the old refueling pier(across from rockpile) and Jimmy Deans.
    3. The turn just down river from Osborne. There deep hole in the turn. I have caught fish out the hole and all around this turn. The bank with the houses on it has a good steep drop of to the channel which holds fish. There is a house I have always heard called the glass house there also use your finder to mark structure out from that.
    4. Just down river from 3 in the turn before the power plant, on the inside of that turn just before the river bends but after the small bay you can enter on the left if your headed down. Mark sturcture and drop offs in that area, should hold some fish.

Hope this gets you started. Let us know when you start pulling in those big bruisers.

5. 60lbclub

60lbclub New Member

State:
    virginia
    yo man i'm in favor of launching from jordan point......I have fished in deep bottom and some surrounding area but seem to catch a better quality of fish from jordan point.....just put in waste some time and money and learn for your self.......or do liek i did..take a guide once, ask as many questions possible, pay attention, then start going out on your own....I have only been to the james 3 times since i got a guide and I have managed several 30's and even 1 over 50......it is possible if you try

6. Reel Tight

Reel Tight New Member

State:
    Va

I know going out and fishing regardless of weither you catch a cold or a state record is not a waste. I spend every chance I can either researching, fixing, upgrading or being on the water doing it. I have been fishing my entire life but in the past 2-3 years I have fell into catfishing prety good. I have done my homework, and I learn something every trip out be it with my boat, gear, or fish. Guides can help you but only so much. You still have to get out there and do it. I have never had a guide I have caught 60lb fish out the James and citations in three local rivers and buggs island/kerr lake. You have to put in the time really is what I am saying. The guides have put in their time and know when a hole will produce and when its best to try elsewhere, or that a spot is better on a certain tide. They know how to read a sonar and locate/set up on fish. Find what works for you. Also please remember down river around Jordan Point can get right nasty this time of year with the wind and cold. On a good day most any boat could go out and down but I have been in a 21 foot cc and had some scary moments, and heard a story of a guy in a 24 foot who had some rough times recently.
    Brandon

7. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    That was really nice of Brandon to share actual holes.

I think the best info I could give is what to look for. Current breaks, areas where there are alot of bait fish, depth changes, underwater structure etc....will all hold good fish. ex: wing dams, fallen trees, pilings. Pick up a good map and study it well. Then you have to venture out on your own and find these areas and start a mental catalog of what spots produce under what conditions.

It's all about time on the water. I started fishing the James late last spring and did many trips where I got skunked. I didn't start catching fish consistently until this year.

8. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    Heck,,,,,I still let the stinky striped one in the boat on occasion. I do it on purpose to maintain a small bit of humility. :smile2:

Get a decent Sonar and learn to use it. They have helped this blind hog find acorns.

9. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    It's been a year next month that I've really been investing time and money into the fishing sport. I know alot about getting skunked on the bank or pier. From most people I talk to its just being at the right place and the right time.I haven't found either.

10. reddcat

reddcat New Member

State:
    Virginia
    freshbaitrules,
    all the things that these guys have said are true and the only thing that will consistantly put fish in the boat is time on the water.
    when ever you catch a fish try to note tide ,wind,sun water depth and any other data that might help tell you why that fish was there, then put that info to use when you move up and down the river.
    some of my best spots are only good for 2-3 hours a day/
    Brandon gave you a big jump on the learning curve , get out there and use the great info.
    Also learn to enjoy the time on the water, it ain't always about catching fish , a big cat is iceing on the cake if you have a good day on the water!!!
    Bruce Conner ( Redcat )

11. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Well said. There are times I start getting down if the fish aren't biting good, but then I remember what else I could be doing (sitting in front of a TV or god forbid a computer screen at work) and I snap back and realize how awesome it is to be fishing!

12. freshbaitrules

State:
    virginia
    I have been a big time bass chaser for many years and I was'nt expecting actual honey holes, but just a guide I guess of where to start.

One of my next questions is how to go about catching bait, I can throw a cast net pretty good....well truthfully one step above horrible, but with practice I am hoping to get better.

Do eels work pretty good this time of year?

I have been told frozen shad is a bad idea. (y/n)?

13. Reel Tight

Reel Tight New Member

State:
    Va
    Bait should be getting easier as we speak. The spring run is starting as we speak the rivers should have an abundance of herring in the comming weeks. If you are going to use a throw net the biggest you can throw and throw and throw will work better than smaller ones. Eels are productive all year round. I personally like to cut the head and 4-5 inches off and hook it through the mouth or eyes like you would a minnow, chunks of eel work also. Bluegill, white perch, bass, and carp work great also live or cut. I like fresh crappie heads too if you get a chance the catfish seem to like them. Frozen bait in general will loose some ability to stay on a hook but shad in peticular being a soft body fish to begin with get really soft after being frozen, besides that and the general belief that catfish prefer fresh bait its ok. I use frozen bait every so often when I have a supply built from having a few leftovers on trips. I go out and use it up. It works there is no dout about that but it leaves you sitting wondering...if they are biting on frozen bait imagine if I had some fresh bait.
    Also read up on the gear/tackle threads on the site it will give you an idea of what you will need. A bass rod wont pull in a 60 lb fish in my personal experience.
    Brandon
    Brandon