Need help on rod holders

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by catman from owensboro, Jan 31, 2007.

1. catman from owensboro

catman from owensboro New Member

State:
    ky
    where to put them and what kind

Attached Files:

2. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Adam, I have 20 of the Attwoods from walmart on my boat, ten on each side. I really like them and haven't ever had a problem with any of them. Plus unlike some of the holders on the market the attwoods are fully adjustable. You could either mount the mounting bracket that comes with the attwoods on the inside edge of that rail sticking up or buy the flush mounts and put them directly in the top of that rail. My friend skipjack has a similar rail on his bass boat and he has about two dozen of the flush mounts on that rail. It didn't take anything away from the sleek line either. Vern

3. luke1wcu

luke1wcu New Member

State:
    North Carolina
  4. suey

suey New Member

State:
    arizona
    id throw at least 4 on that back deck.... 2 on the transom area just before it slants downward and i would place one on each side in front of the boat cleats

the berkley quick set rod holder is easy to use and is adjustable as well for about 12 dollars each on catfish connection. if i hadnt purchased 8 of the attwoods before knowing about the berkley ones...i would have gotten the berkley ones

suey

ps...just makes sure you know what you want, dont want to by drillin holes everywhere on that fiberglass. also, you might want to get some marine silicone and put a dab in each hole before screwing in, at least on the transom rod holders

5. goosehead32

goosehead32 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I've had a lot of luck with the attwoods, too. Also use some scotty's that are pretty good, but more expensive. the added cost probably isn't worth it.

My experience is that I mount my rod holders, then use them once and change my mind where I want them. Seems like you never know where you need them til you fish it one time. So, if there'a way not to mount them permanently until you've fished once, that would be best. At least get in the boat and act like you are fishing. The neighbors might think you are crazy, but you'll be better off for it!!

6. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
  7. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    If you typically fish out of the back alot, a custom "rocketlauncher" (I think they're called) setup across the back would be nice. It's basically a bar that spans the width of your boat and has 5 or so rod holders attached to it at various angles.

---\\---\\---||---//---//---

Then add individual road holders across the sides every few feet, and man will you be in business.

8. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN

just be careful and check these out before you get them. I had a couple of the older ones and they weren't big enough to hold my big ugly stiks. I would have to jam them down in there and then they were hard to get out when a fish was on. These were older though and berkley might have fixed this problem

9. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    i realy like the berkley quickset rod holders. i have 5 on my boat and you can even drive around with your rods in them, i go 40 mph and they set just fine.

10. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    i got 6 of the berkely rod holders across the back of my boat, and love them....Not a single problem

11. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Take a 2x4 and tie it to your cleats and the back to your bass seat pole. Mount your rod holders on there until you know where on the fiberglass you want them permanently. It is hard to sell a boat with a lot of rod holder holes.