need help on reel selection

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by brandonbtbt, Jun 2, 2009.

1. brandonbtbt

brandonbtbt New Member

State:
    Cambridge, OH
    hello, im gettin ready to purchase a couple of big game reels... ive been looking at the abu garcia 7000 series and the shimano tekota 600 and 700 series... can anyone give me some input on these reels and/or make recommendations? thanks

2. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

1st off-WELCOME to the BOC Brandon!IMO-they,re both good reels.For flattin,I,d stick with the 700 series if I went Shimano.I,m an ABU man myself.I,ve just grown up with them and trust them.I think you,ll find more parts and upgrade availibility for them too.Either way you go,you,re gonna be fine.Good luck and Good fishin!:big_smile:

3. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I've been fishing with Abu's since early 1970's, never had any problems with them. I still have and use one of the first pair of 5000 Ambassadeurs that I bought at that time. You can't go wrong with Abu.

4. skyhead

skyhead New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I just bought an abu 7000i. ive practiced with it quite a bit out in the yard and took it fishing about 3 times. It sure seems like a powerhouse. I really doubt you can go wrong with an abu 7000 for a heavy rig.

I got mine on a heavy rod, just last night i pulled in a 15 pound snappin turtle and i wondered a couple times if i still had the fish or in this case the turtle still on the line. :smile2:

5. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    I personally don't like baitcasters I use Okuma spinning with a baitrunner with no problems:wink:

6. brandonbtbt

brandonbtbt New Member

State:
    Cambridge, OH
    thanks everyone for the replies! it seems as if abu 7000 wins... i have 4 smaller abu bait casters and i like them a lot i just wasnt sure about the big game reels... (not to mention abu7000 = $100 tekota = $200)

7. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    The Big game hight speed, narrow spool 7000 is the best reel I've ever owned, I cant say enough about it. Tough to the bone and smooth as silk. Now as far as casting I'm sure the rocket etc might cast a little better. I personally didnt buy it for long distance but it still casts pretty darn good.

-Jim-

8. Ky_Katter91

Ky_Katter91 New Member

State:
    Northern Ky
    Just my 2 cents here man, but you oughta check into the Shakespeare Tidewater 30L for big cats. It's a good, tough reel, with a pretty good amount of line capacity. I've got probably 150 yards of 40 lb trilene big cat on it.
    The best part is the price tag. It's only 35 bucks compared to the other hefty price tags on some other baitcasters. Ive used my dads 7000 though, and that thing'll get ya spoiled.

9. foghorn

foghorn New Member

State:
    Wagoner Ok
    As far as reels i like the abu's made in sweden the best i have a china made 7000 and its ok but the sweden mades are much better IMO and i have a factory service rep close by if i need it fixed or parts. All my reels are abu's and i wont buy any thing else. I had a tidewater aka (tight wadder) and i sold it for $30 just to get rid of it. My first bait casting reel was a mitchell rip tide with a line counter it was ok but nothing compared to the abu's. Now as far as the spinning reels you can take any one you want with any size line and pole and i will use my little 5000 with 12lb and a 3oz on my 10' pole and out cast it in distance. I can cast about 3/4 the distance of my 5 acers from one end to the other. I also have had mine up graded from abec 3 berings to abec 5 and it makes it a lot smoother. They do make abec 7 berings

Foggy :cool2:

Last edited: Jul 14, 2009
  10. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I am an exclusive Abu user and have been for years. I set up the 7000 Pro Rocket on a pair of Catfish Safari Flatheads and have found them to be among the best of set ups for my particular brand of fishing. Abu's have proven to be the most dependable for me, kinda like the watch--they take a lickin' and keep on tickin'.:wink: Stay safe and good luck fishing!!!

11. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I use the 7000's for big cats. I have upgraded the bearing and honed the gears so it will reach out there. I have one I bought in 1975 and all I have every done to it is clean it and change the bearings. I have two of the tide waters I use on my boat, they are OK but I can't throw them very far.

12. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    I have 3 abu 7000c3 reels and they are by far my favorite, but not everyone has $150 to spend on a fishing reel either. I've just collected mine over time. Some other great options for you that are less expensive and still really great reels are the shakespeare tidewater series, as mentioned before and pflueger contender c30. The pflueger is an awesome reel and it's a steal for around 60 bucks. It performs just about as well as my abu, but holds more line and hauls fish in like a winch. You might want to check one out, what the hell, you may just find that you like them as much as I do! GOOD LUCK Brandon and welcome to the B.O.C.:wink::0a25:

13. rdwolf03

rdwolf03 New Member

State:
    indiana
    I can,t belive no one has mention penn 209 .The only draw back is the3 to 1 retrive. very strong and holds alot of line an only 40 bucks

14. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    any good abue garcia, or a penn, 209 or a cheap gto,but beware there not good for snags, or if you need a high retreve, et a cheap tiger from twalmart put 60 braid on and lock it down, ps not for bluecats, i like them cheap spinning reels, locked down, they last a year

15. mcseal2

mcseal2 Active Member

State:
    Kansas
    If you don't have to cast to far the Penn 209's are great, priced right and built tough. If you do need smooth casting the Abu's win hands down. I have 6 in the 6000-6500 class and 3 7000's. I love the 7000C4LD the best, the lever drag can be used as an adjustable baitclick like the baitrunner spinning reels. Sometimes if I am setting the rods down the sandbar a ways to get away from the noise and light of camp I like to run a Penn and an Abu to have different sounding clickers.

16. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    I have several Abu's as well as a Penn 209 and an old Penn 9 and like them all. the Abu's will cast farther and are a bit smoother but the Penn 209 is a solid reel and will winch them in as well as the 6500-6600 series Abu's. Have't used the 7000 series Abu's so can not comment on them.
    Welcome to the BOC and good luck selecting a reel!

17. Ky_Katter91

Ky_Katter91 New Member

State:
    Northern Ky
    That's a pretty good idea slikk. I never would have really considered the Walmart Tigers to be very effective for large flats or blues, but especially a trophy flat... I would think getting them off of the bottom with one of those combos would prove to be a tough task, but I reckon I'll take your word for it. GLad you could reccommend a less pricey, yet effective option to one of our fellow catters.

18. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
  19. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    sorry about that one im being a tackle snob on that one and justin ever so gently put me in my place:embarassed: didnt mean any thing bad just not wanting anyone getting there expectaions to high slikk means well and did say dont expect it to last more than a year if thats what your using it for. justin you seem to be alot nicer then me at getting your point across reps.:wink::cool2:

20. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN New Member

State:
    sc
    Find a Abu 9000 or 10000 if capacity is a issue.Look for one of the older gold colored models if you can cast a baitcaster.If not go spinning and get you a baitrunner or one of the other spinning reels the good people on here have recommended.