Need help on Raleigh Location

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by ylicyotee, Jul 24, 2009.

1. ylicyotee

ylicyotee New Member

State:
    NC
    I put up a post in the lakes forum, not got a great answer yet due to most of you not fishing in or around Raleigh... :sad2:

Does anyone know any good cat spots (public access, bank fishing) that I could hit up for some big cats? I've been reading about Neuse but dont know where to go exactly. I unfortunately do not have a boat, and the girlfriend is begging me to find a good spot. (Shes seen all your pictures and is jealous, wants to catch a 40 pounder bad!)

If any of you are heading out this weekend around Raleigh, or know of any good spots that are not over fished, please let me know!

Thanks so much ahead of time!

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    You really need a canoe or a couple of yaks.
    Anywhere where a bridge crosses the Neuse it's going to get fished.
    The best part. That is about the only part that gets fished.

The way to catch big flats on the Neuse is to go where everybody else don't.
    Big fish don't come easy. Often times it takes a lot of work just getting there to them.

3. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    You have a private message.

4. ylicyotee

ylicyotee New Member

State:
    NC
    Many thanks to both of you! Much appreciated!:big_smile:

5. amk29

amk29 New Member

State:
    Durham, NC
    Joe, have a few spots picked out around poole rd and rt 64. they are walking distance from the road access but its a little bit of a hike. have been out only twice (both in the last 2 wks) and have done ok...catchin about 40 lbs of fish in 4-5 h. A few good size channels (6-9 lbs) and medium sized flats (10-15lbs). These is easy access by poole road and auburn knightdale rd and tons of people fish right at these bridges. never tried (taking Mark J's advice) fishin them myself. Most of the fishermen are gone by nighttime and you may do well if you don't feel like hiking or paddling.

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I usually carry a variety of bait but the number one big flathead getter for us has always been a plain ol store bought minnow. 2-3" long believe it or not.
    It don't matter if he dies on the hook. If the flat is feeding he'll hit it.

We've caught alot of trophy flatheads on little bait.