Need help on my bait tank

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by rasimmons, Feb 14, 2006.

1. rasimmons

rasimmons Guest

I just got finished building a new bait tank this afternoon it is a 50 gal. plastic drum layed on its side thought of everything from batt. placement to how the lid will open for easiest use the one thing i forgot about was filling the tank with water. i have a meesed up right shoulder so a 5 gal. bucket won't work real good any ideas would be helpfull

2. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    I use a Rule Bilge pump with about 10 foot of hose attached, throw the hose overboard with the attached pump, put the other end into your tank and have a lighter end on the wires and plug it into the recepticle and it will fill the tank very fast, I also use it for water changes or pumping the baittank out..................Doc

3. Ohio_River_Rat

Ohio_River_Rat New Member

State:
    Charlestown, Indiana
    rasimmons do you think you could post some pics of your tank. it sounds great and was thinking about makin one myself.

4. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Any 12 volt pump should work. once its full you can use it to areate the tank. The pumps are relatively cheap and last a long time. Put a bypass valve on it so you can stitch it over from sucking in fresh lake water to areation. I would put some sort of strainer on your suction hose or you may plug things up and spend the day cleaning out a clogged pump.:)

5. flatheadking532

flatheadking532 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    The man was right on that bilge pump works perfect. I fish the river where the water is less than clear so I use bait saver you can get at most bait stores. I start with city water put in the recomented omount of bait saver and the water stays clear and keeps the bait lively. I have used this for years. the pump doesnt get cloged nearly as much as using lake or river water. It may be a little more difficult getting the the water to the boat.but if possible its worth the extra effort.

6. rasimmons

rasimmons Guest

river rat i will try to put some pics op on wed. have to go buy a camera first shoot it is as simple as another bilge pump don't know why i couldn't think of it but anyway thank you for the help. the tank will also double as a livewell that is why it is made from the 50 gal. barrel

7. comanchero

comanchero New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Hey Rasimmons - Do you have this on your boat? or is it a bait tank at home for keeping bait alive?

8. rasimmons

rasimmons Guest

right now it is on my basement floor but i will be able to use for both when it gets all the way done

9. comanchero

comanchero New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    The reason I ask the question is that I keep a 100 gallon stock tank at home for my flathead bait. I maintain about 50 to 75 bullheads around 5" to 7" for flathead bait. I have my tank set up to change water really easily but it is designed for home use only. I've got it set up in a small shed in my carport and it works out pretty good.