Need help on first boat buy

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by stubhub, Jan 5, 2010.

1. stubhub

stubhub New Member

State:
    mulvane
    I'm lookin at a 12' Jon boat. It comes with
    Rod Holders
    6" 360 degree bass swivel seats
    Rope and anchor
    rear mounted Sigma by Shakespeare 28lb thrust electric trolling motor
    It's $350.
    The thing that I can't figure out is the shakespeare trolling motor, their website said they stopped making them in 1983. The ad says it runs just fine.
    Any help on the trolling motor information, or anything else, I would appreciate it

2. ks catman

ks catman New Member

State:
    kansas
    sounds like a great buy but what are you fishing lakes or rivers ?

3. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    sounds good just make sure it floats;)...

4. stubhub

stubhub New Member

State:
    mulvane
    a combination, more of a river boat though i hope

5. lissaannjon

lissaannjon New Member

State:
    Dubuque, IA
    it will work for you in a SMALL river. However, the electric trolling motor at a 28 lb max even if it runs good is awefully small. I had a friend try to run a trolling motor on a small river here and the current would eat up the battery FAST. That is still a good price even if you scrap the trolling motor and buy a 2 1/2 to 6 horse gas motor. I have a 2 1/2, 3 1/2, and 4horse for my 12 ft jon and they all do just fine on the back of the little boat. Just don't plan on getting anywhere fast but they will push around 2 people and gear without any trouble. i would NEVER put it on a medium or large river OR on a big lake that may get rough with wind unless you plan on swimming home and buying a lot of new gear though. good luck and stay safe

6. BigCatter54

BigCatter54 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I am going to say you are not going to be happy with a twelve foot boat, i used to use a 14 ft flat bottom jon on a small pond and with two people and fishing gear, it was all that it could handle, and it barely did that, no way wuld i trust it out on any kind of a river, plus, if using a trolling motor you are gonna need at least two batteries to toat around with you, I would say sve your money and find a 16 with a small outboard to do your running with and a trolling motor minimum 45 lb thrust, Just my 2 cents, but if I were in your shoes I would save up and get a better boat.

7. rwg

rwg New Member

State:
    WICHITA, KANSAS
    Matt, go big or go home, a bigger boat will serve you well over time, I've fished out of john boats and
    have a 10" plastic bass boat. Here in Kansas you can end up in trouble if the wind gets to blowing. The 12 ft john would be fine for ponds or lakes of less than 200 acreas, but if yor going out on Cheney or Marion
    it can get scary very quick be safe

8. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i have to agree with this post. i have a 15 foot flat bottom jon boat that i push around with a 50lb trolling motor. i do take two charged batteries on it with me whenever i am planning on fishing all day. however if i were on a small lake i would much rather have a gas motor.

i bought the boat for doing float trips in a small river and fishing lakes under 300 acres, however i try to put in close to where i will be fishing that day. trying to ford from one end of the lake to the other and relying on a battery to get you back 8-12 hours later, can turn into a lot of rowing.

9. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    It is doable in a small river with that setup because I have done similar, but it is not all that great. If I had just that trolling motor in a 12' Jon I would most likely use 90% of my battery in the morning heading as far up river as i could get. Then I would let the river float me back down while tying of to things to fish on the way back. The Ohio River is big, but there are times that my 42lb thrust trolling motor will not even be able to push faster than the current.

10. Mildog

Mildog Member

State:
    Virginia
    Lots of good advice here. That 12ft boat can get small real fast when you start adding gear. One thing to look at when buying a jon boat is does it leak. Alot of times the rivets on a jon will leak especially the ones made of lighter gauge aluminum.
    Personally, I would not go with anything less than 14'. I have a 15' 42" wide jon boat that me and my wife would fish out of. We barely had room to move around, and it did not take a very large wake from another boat or jet ski to put water in the boat.

11. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    For river use, I would fish upriver if I was you...that way you can always drift back down to the ramp. lol. Better get you a tiller drive outboard and save your battery juice for when you need it in case of emergency.

12. Andy52

Andy52 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    Already plenty of good advice here.........a 12 foot jon boat is a farm pond boat and not much more.

13. roadkill636

roadkill636 New Member

State:
    warrenton misso
    FOR SURE !! trolling motors arn't for anyplace that has current

14. stubhub

stubhub New Member

State:
    mulvane
    Thank you to all that replied to the post, Just looking to get out on a shallow river, and found out something bigger would be nice, i appreciate it

15. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    If you go to buy a bigger used boat make sure the transom is in good shape, sometimes the woood rots inbetween the aluminum and you dont know it if your not looking for it, as far as the 12 footer goes these guys already gave you the good advise on that . Although I had a 6 hp evinrude 1971 that pushed my 15 footer pretty good. but I didnt have the guts to put it on a bigger river. I would get a small outbourd till steer then save the troller for quite entry to a spot. GOOD LUCK