Need Help on Catfishing

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by catfisherman_eky3, Jun 23, 2006.

1. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Ive been wanting to start river fishing some, for Flathead and big blues well I live in Martin County Kentucky and im wondering if you all know any good river bank fishing in south eastern kentucky. And what kind of baits do you use to catch some big fish. Ive never fished a river before so I really dont know much about them thats why im asking for everyones help.

2. r_p_narramore

r_p_narramore New Member

State:
    East KY
    Not any blues on our end of the state. Closest place would be Ohio River from Meldahl dam on down. We do have flatheads though. Don't know any spots close to you but I would try the Big Sandy river or Ohio river. I like to use creek chubs and bluegills. Dewey and Fishtrap lakes also have flatheads. Hope this helps and good luck.

3. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Yea I fished Dewey quite a few times this year with no luck but where is Fish Trap Lake I may go try it some. Ive heard some good things about Fish Trap Lake but I have no clue where it is.

4. r_p_narramore

r_p_narramore New Member

State:
    East KY
    It is in Pike county. It doesn't have many places to fish from the bank though. I have heard of a few good ones being caught at the spillway but it is usually too crowded to fool with.

5. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    Dewey is a great cat lake in my opinion problem is you gotta have a boat to get to them. Not a lot of good bank fishing, most of the lake is accessable only by boat. I catch mostly flats and channels there but have caught a blur or to befor(few far and between though). The big sandy offers plenty of good fishing if you dont care to "rough" it to the good spots.

6. snagger93

snagger93 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    cumberland is a good bank fishing river some big ones but mostly about 2lbs

7. rickster

rickster New Member

State:
    kentucky
    we have some good spots from the water treatment plant in floyd county at the big sandy we have done real good thier its right in front of long johns silivers in p burg. we usally use bluegill cut bait night crawlers and livers and shrimp and do real good also get ya some no roll sinkers that way it can help ya incase of snags or fast current but good luck man c-ya

8. KyRiverCats

KyRiverCats New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    ANY RIVER, if you can find a shallow rocky bank, use live bluegills and don't fish over 30 feet from the shoreline. Start just at dusk and be prepared to stay until good daylight the next morning. If the gar don't bother you, you should get some good flatheads.

9. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    well i dont fish that area much but i can offer bait options lol......try live or cut shad, skipjack, bluegill or you may even wanna break out the ole can o' worms