Need help on Boat motor idling

Discussion in 'LOCAL LOUISIANA TALK' started by Louisiana Redneck, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Louisiana Redneck

Louisiana Redneck New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Good morning,

I made a post about a week ago for a good company to do tune ups on small fishing motors ( 50 HP Johnson) in the Baton Rouge area, but had no responses. My motor will not idle. It keeps dying. It runs fine when the rpm is up but cut down to an idle and it dies. A friend rebuilt my carbs and while he was doing it he adjusted my idle. It has not worked good since. I just want a professional to have a look at it and my old shop has moved to the Bass Pro Shop and will not be taking any more business for a few months. If you have a local shop and are willing to share the name, please do.

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Sounds like one of two problems. The low speed jets are still dirty, restricting the flow of fuel, causing the engine to not idle. Secondly, your friend may have have got the linkage adjustments out of tolerance. Part of the linkage adjustment is the timing. Bad to get it out of adjustment. If I had to hazard a bet, I would say he either didn't get those carbs clean, or you have some obstruction blocking the flow of fuel at low speeds. My 50 HP Johnson purrs like a contented kitten - but it didn't use to. Get a manual and do those checks and adjustments yourself. Matter of fact, go to your local auto parts store and get two carb repair kits and a gallon of carb cleaner. Download the instructions in the outboard motor repair section and clean those carbs yourself. Believe me, if your smart enough to pay someone to clean those carbs for you, your smart enough to clean them yourself.

3. Louisiana Redneck

State:
    Louisiana
    Thanks for the comments. I am good at small repair jobs, but fooling with the linkage and all just bothers me. I have a manual and it looks pretty complicated. Changing plugs, adding gear rease etc. not a problem.

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Randy, believe me, it is not that difficult. BobPaul has a very good tutorial on how to clean carburetors, and the manuals are fairly explicit on linkage adjustments. Just take you time... you can always undo whatever you have done. Also, a mechanic is gonna charge you the same for repairs. It goes by his time and a flat rate manual.

5. WildWillie

WildWillie Member

State:
    Rockport, TX
    I just bought a small bay boat with a Evinrude 48 SPL. Had a few things I wanted to do, so I purchased the Seloc online manual for a year for $19.95. It's pretty good, with printable info.

One thing to remember; it may idle good out of the water running on muffs, but it is different with back pressure on the exhaust. I would get the specs on the idle mixture screws, and try to adjust them first before jacking with any adjustments on the linkage. In fact, if you will list the year, I will see if the specs are in my online manual and PM them to you.

6. Louisiana Redneck

State:
    Louisiana
    Thanks for the feedback. My motor is a 1997 50hp Johnson Outboard, 2 carbs. Any help would be appreciated.

7. Louisiana Redneck

State:
    Louisiana
    I hope this is the info you need.

8. mrwhiskr

mrwhiskr New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    When my moter did that it was worn out. Would run on fast throttle, but had to restart every time on choke and then ram the throttle up to make it run. I hope this aint your problem.

Keep them lines wet

9. Fred Rankin

Fred Rankin New Member

State:
    Benton, Louisiana
    I has a similiar problem this past week while fishing on Dorcheat. The 15 HP motor would not idle when cranked in neutral and it would die before I could shift into gear. A fisherman came by and recommend that I try "Sea Foam" in my gas to clean the carb. I bought a can on the way home and added it to the gas tank. When I got home, I connected the muff and cranked the engine. It fixed the problem, the motor runs fine, but I haven't actually tried it in the lake only with the muff.

10. WildWillie

WildWillie Member

State:
    Rockport, TX
    Initial idle screw settings are 3 1/2 turns counter clockwise off soft seating for the 95-01 50 hp models. I would count the turns it takes to close them when re-adjusting. This way you will know if they were incorrect, plus you can return to the previous setting should need be.

Like Fred said, that Seafoam is some great stuff. Just out of curiosity though, did you have the idle problem before the carbs were gone through?

Will

11. Louisiana Redneck

State:
    Louisiana
    I did not have the problem before he rebuilt my carbs. I do use that additive. I remember seeing him adjust the linkage. He did mention the 3 1/2 turns, but I do know he adjusted it. (out of the water) It is in the water I have the idling problem.