Need help, line wont come off the reel easily when casting.

Discussion in 'Reel Repair and Upgrades' started by thudpucker, Oct 29, 2008.

1. thudpucker

thudpucker New Member

State:
    Culman AL
    I have this mystery reel. The name is all rubbed off of it.
    It has level wind and all that works. I just took it apart and cleaned everything and re-lubed it with a coating of light oil.

It still wont cast easily. It all seems free, but the line just dont come off the spool freely when I cast it.
    The reel seems to drag the line down.
    I have the Spool drag way off and the Spool tensioner off so far the Spool will slide sideways a bit.

Am I missing somthing?
    Is the level wind mechanisim supposed to go into free spool?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    You may have a sticking main bearing. The one the spool rides on.
    The drag should have no effect on a cast cause it is disengaged. And if the tension is set loose there should be no pressure on the spool at all.
    The only other thing I can think of is the worm gear and/or pawl is worn out causing drag.

If all that looks OK, try a larger sinker. I don't know what size that reel is from the pics, but I cast 6500 and 7000 abus easier with 5oz weights than 3 oz ones.
    Just hard to tell from here, hope this helps.

3. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I just thought of one more thing Dick. If it worked before you dissassembled it, you may have something slightly askew. Take it back apart and put it back together until you get that one little thing in line.

It still happens to me with my 7000's. and I have taken them apart for ten years.

4. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Dick,

There is a few things that can cause that
    1) the level wind is not working rite
    2) the line is tho heavy for the rod and weight you trying to cast
    3) and there should be very side to side play in the spool
    4) if you have your spool tension backed off it should free spool to the ground easy and over run and if it does not it's in the bearing or the level wind

Hope this helps and welcome to the BOC/SOC from So.Alabama

5. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Maybe the line is digging into it self?

6. thudpucker

thudpucker New Member

State:
    Culman AL
    :wink:OK, of all those suggestions, I think the Level wind dragging, or the line too heavy are the most likely.
    I had 20 or 25 Lb on there for Catfishing.
    So...I'm gonna go down and take the Level wind off the reel and try it, then if that dont do it, I'll put some more water in the Float and see if it'l cast a brick.

I'll make sure the line will free fall though. That's an interesting test.
    I should know by this evening.:big_smile_2:
    Dick

7. thudpucker

thudpucker New Member

State:
    Culman AL
    First I tried the drop test and it failed.
    I took the Level wind parts out of the reel and did a few casts.
    (I dont think I'd have had the patience to do this a few years ago.)

Then I cast the 1/2 Oz water filled float half way across the pasture on the first try.:smile2:
    OK, I thought! That tells me where to look.
    However, I never found anything wrong except sticky gooey lube.

I washed that out with WD-40 and used some paper towels to help with the cleaning.
    Put the Level wind stuff back in there and verified the alignment.

Next cast....well, it didnt go half way across the pasture, but it went further than when I started with all this.
    That level wind stuff has a lot of drag. It's completely clean and lube free.

I can cast 30 feet or so with reasonable accuracy so I'm leaving it the way it is. This is a rod I can use for Cat's or for Crappie jigging.
    Thanks all for your help.

8. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Dick, I have to take out the worm gear on the levelwind once a month to clean off the build-up of gunk from reeling in water and slime on the line. I do that with HOT water, a toothbrush, and Dawn dish soap.
    Then lightly oil and its ready to go. I also carry a small tube of oil in my tackle in case it gets a little dry in between cleanings.