Need Help!.....Kinda along Troy's post.

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by postbeetle, Nov 9, 2009.

1. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Have just come in from setting up my ground blind and need some help with the setup. I figure there are some pros here that will have the right advice.

Now, I am not a novice. I have hunted deer since 1963 and have missed my share, but I have managed to get my skinning knife bloody every year since 1963. Well I am older now and the old joints are catching up with me so I am going wuss this year and crawl into a ground stand. Used to tree stand or walk drive for group hunts or simply park my rear on a rock or leaned up against a tree. Got the job done but like I say age does things to ya. So..........

This year I am going to a ground blind and try and whack the enemy from there. About a year ago I built a garden shed, in my garden of course. This is situated 80 feet East of my house (my 6:00 position) and the East side (my point position) fronts 10 year pasture and 55 acres of timber. To the 9:00 position is another 40 acres of 10 year and pond with another 80 acres of timber there. 30 yards in front of my firing point, South of the grapes, rhubarb and asparagus is a set of apple trees. Nice trees and nice apples. My horse likes these apples and unfortunately about 1/2 of the deer population here likes these apples too. A little further South, out of camera, is a horse tank and block of salt. The deer like these too. When they come out the timber they have a hard time deciding whether to lick salt first or have an apple and then lick salt. (Insert curse word here or a couple). Now a problem has developed that urinates me off. Bucks have started using these trees as points of reference, i.e. the suckers are horning my trees and one of the SOB's has actually decided to develop a scrape under one of my best trees. I will not tolerate this, just will not tolerate this. Something has to die to pay for this damage. I usually don't kill bucks, let them pass and take a nice non-gray faced doe. Gonna change this year, a buck or bucks will DIE!

So there's kinda the set-up, now to my problem. I will be using that Model 870 with the nice goose barrel on it, picture #1. A good 'Ol Mama, she will group any number, flat, within 3-4 inches in a center target at a little less than 90 yards. I pull her out from under the bed every fall, dust her off and jack in a few. Makes a lot of noise, but what the Hey. The daisy Model 1849 is for head shots. I will be putting a bushel of apples just outside my firing port for those deer that stick their heads within 5 feet of me. That might be construed as "baiting" for you officanados, but my horse might need an apple as I wait. If a deer happens to have a sweet tooth, tough banana pudding. Now, if I need to wait up till 2:00 AM watching the news with my flashlight handy, I have the proper firepower to create some action, not pictured.

Picture #3 is a shot of those apple trees that those deer are destroying, as I say about 40 yards away. I realize it will be a tough shot and the line of fire is quite congested (heheh).

Picture #2 is of some apples hanging in those trees. i figure there will be enough apples there to drop clear through 2nd season or until i run out of slugs. They are going to DIE!. I need a lot of dog food for the winter.

Now my question finally. I have got a nice comfortable easy chair, a nice space heater, some old Playboys to entertain myself with during slow periods of waiting. and an adequate supply of popcorn. Now I shoot left handed so would you guys put the coffee pot on the left or right side? I'd hate to spill my coffee.

2. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Well that depends on if your recliner is set up with a thru the cushion toilet .:wink:

3. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Has to be on the right side at 1/2 arms length. Fire, set gun down, pick up coffee and then turn to next picture., I mean next article. Repeat as necessary.

4. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    Hopefuly some of those apples are on the lower branches.It will make the headshots from the daisy easier.When the deer are on their back legs with their necks extended trying to reach them.By the way I love your shooting blind very nice.Good luck.

5. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    Well it depends if the recliner is left handed or right handed. Would not want to knock over the coffee pot when you reach down to put out the foot rest. But then also needs to be oppsite of the playboys would not want to spill coffee on them. just food for thought

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I can answer this real quick.
    Is the ol' lady right handed or left handed?

7. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    ya want to keep some old bucks off the trees. Get a 10 ft to 20 ft stick of light 10 inch pvc sewer pipe and cut into 5 ft leanths and just split down one side with a zaw-saw and slip around the tree bases . It will keep em from rubbing it . You want the thin wall - pvc pipe for this. As far as the coffee pot ya gona have to have it to the left Dress Right Dress. Got it now give them deer a bad day.:wink:

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    John sorry to hear that your going to have to ROUGH IT, this deer season. You might need to take some carrots along for the eye repair.(Looking at books). Don't over do it and good luck.

9. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Ya I know Mic, it is gonna be one tough season. Good thing I am a macho man.

And ya know Mic since I am now gonna have access to the best health care in the world I won't care if some body parts get frost bit. LOL.

10. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Dang shame you can't get someone like Big-G to video the hunt and you tuffing it out in the ground blind.

PS, don't forget the ear plugs, those high power guns can put a hurting on you in an enclosed area. Just saying.

11. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    By all means Sir John, put the coffee pot on the right side. Be a shame to spill cawfee on a vintage playboy. Nice blind your hunting from and i'm certain it will work for ya. Best of luck.jf

12. cheapNdisgusting

cheapNdisgusting Well-Known Member Supporting Member Supporting Member

State:
    Zalma Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    I know "PB that leers at goats" fairly well. He isn't kidding. My place in SE.MO. has the same "problem" with the deer. My relatives show up deer season and the first topic totally beaten to death is "Where is the best place to hunt?" and my answer is always "The front porch is my personal favorite".

Postbeetle; I predict that half the people that read your post will cuss you up one side and down the other while sitting in a tree with a 30 mph. wind blowing 25 deg. slightly damp air right in thier face while trying to decide if it's worth it to climb down and pee.

13. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Ya know Russell ya do have a point. Getting that zipper down was usually ok, getting the thing zipped back up to keep out the wind was the tough part.

I will miss that this year, ya like Hades I will. Dogs ran off 8 of 'em under those trees tonight. Will be difficult to pick my shot. Hope I don't get Buck fever. LOL.

Later Russell. Thanks for reading this stuff. John.

14. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    A big ol bite of apple then drill em lol they will expire with the apple bit down on. What a classic deer pic that would be lol. Or better yet wait for 2 of em to line up right and get a 2 for 1 lol with the cost of ammo ya would be saven money !!!!

Been tryen to pull that shot off for years and I never get lucky like that danget danget danget!!!

Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  15. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I like the way Troy thinks. Line up heads.:wink:

16. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Nice blind, won't have to walk far, and it ought to keep that cold wind off ya. If ya shoot left handed, then ya probably more coordinated with the left hand too. Coffee pot on left side, cup on left side, shotgun in the right hand ready to pull up. That way ya can get your coffee, drink it, and set it down in a hurry if ya have to. I'd love to come thin some of them pesky deer out for ya, not sure I will be able to get to the midwest this year. Got to see the doc on my birthday, 10 NOv, and try to make it to the hunt by Fri, but got some work to finish first, in between doc visits and home remodeling. You bein some kind of doc, I could probably rely on your diagnosis of the problems, and thin out them pesky critters. Them Chinese say a horse doctor is top notch medical care.

17. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    I have thought real hard about this and I am willing to volunteer my services. I have always heard that looking at Playboy will make you go blind so I am willing to sit in the blind and stay out of the wind cold and rain to help you out.

18. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Bill and/or Pam: Whomever I am so speaking to (er typing to). Volunteers are always welcome here at the Ponderosa. Ya gotta help Hop-Sing wash dishes though before you get to put a gun in your hand and help me wipe deer from the face of the earth.

We have many, many of those useless creatures, the tree destroying, hosta eating, tramplers of the earth. Thicker than fleas on a skinny dog.

Ya know I was always told that reading Playboy would make you go blind. I have set up many experiments about that and I am here to tell ya Bill and/or Pam that is just a crock. Ain't true. Mydriasis from reading Playboy can occur. But that is a GOOD pupillary dilitation. Very good. Indicates that the pictures are worth looking at. But there is a method to this Bill and/or Pam. Inducing Mydriasi (pupillary dilatation) actually then helps us see better in dark or dim conditions, allows more light to enter the eye. And ya see that then helps ya see those useless deer better and actually helps ya draw down and bead them better so ya can wipe them off the face of the earth and use their bodies for garden fertilizer. And i intend to do just that.

Bring a lotta slugs when ya come.

John AKA (Deerslayer)

19. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Well John I was getting my shotgun and a case of slugs out of the safe when my wife ask what I was doing. I politely told her I was going to come help you with the deer and playboys. She took my keys, credit card and walked off mumbling about I could go when something froze over. I hope you have a heater in the blind.
    Now I just have to wait until what ever she was talking about freezes over. I hope to be there soon.

20. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    OHHHHHH!! That's why they call it a blind!!:wink::smile2::tounge_out: