Need help indentifying

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by Balex123, Oct 16, 2009.

1. Balex123

Balex123 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'm still a newbie at being able to identifying catfish. This picture below is my first ever catfish, and for a few months now I've just been saying its a channel, but for some reason I'm thinking it might be a blue and want to make sure. Any suggestions ?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  2. skippi2use

skippi2use New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Channel cat has a rounded analfin with 29 rays or less a blue will have 30 or more rays and the analfin is straight across as opposed to rounded. A channel will also have spots on it when it is young.

3. skippi2use

skippi2use New Member

State:
    Indiana
    it does look like you are correct. Looks like the anal fin is rounded. It looks like a channel to me.

4. fmb

fmb New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    yea it looks like a channel to me....nice fish

5. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thats a channel.. I can clearly see the dots.

6. catwhisper

catwhisper New Member

State:
    georgia
    looks like a channel but go to your states DNR website for identifing pic and description.

7. countryboy79

countryboy79 New Member

State:
    nc

You can clearly see the dots WTF!!!!! Looks like trash to me. The fish does look like a channel.

8. Balex123

Balex123 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Yeah thanks guys. Think I got the anal fin thing now. I caught this in the Louisville area while visting my parents, so I wasn't sure, since there not really any blues up here in NE Indiana, and not all that uncommon down there . Its amazing how different the color complection can be on cats in different bodies of water.

9. Balex123

Balex123 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Sorry countryboy79, I apologize for posting a trashy picture, didn't mean to excite you

10. countryboy79

countryboy79 New Member

State:
    nc
    Thats all rite iam just sittin here playing on the com. drinking a bud lite.

11. countryboy79

countryboy79 New Member

State:
    nc

Is channels the only type of catfish yall have up there ????

12. Balex123

Balex123 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    channels, Bullheads, and Flatheads, are most common. Think nearest body of water for blues is the Wabash river

13. countryboy79

countryboy79 New Member

State:
    nc
    oh ok I mostly fish for blues,,, i live about 10 min away from blewett falls lake and pee dee river. I fish for flat heads and channels for fun. What do you use for bait to catch channels up there????