Need help in locating a reel.

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by coolbig2, Dec 29, 2005.

1. coolbig2

coolbig2 New Member

State:
    Greenville, SC
    Hi, its been a while since I've posted, or even visited. Ive mainly been concentrating on school (not doing much though :sad: ) and just moping around for the most part. However, I am starting to get back into the swing of things. Ive just turned 16 last month, I have my own truck, and the possibility to take out the jon boat (Dad wont let me take out the bass boat :p ). Ive already decided to get a Quantum Big Cat 7'6" H rod from catfish connection. Now for the reel I want to pair it up with. Its the Quantum "big" iron 420CX baitcasting reel. Ive searched all over and I cant find one. Im really set on one of these over the Abu 7000 series due to the fact that it's just as good, but aout 30 bucks cheaper. Can any of the brothers help me out with tracking one of these babies down?

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I have been told that they quit making those reels last year. I am not for sure but that is what I heard, Sorry!!!

3. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    It is great to hear from you again. Don't be a stranger, We are always here waiting to hear from our long lost brothers.

4. coolbig2

coolbig2 New Member

State:
    Greenville, SC
    TY, I've also heard that, but sometimes online shops will still have a small cache in storage or somthing of the like. Ive found a select few on ebay, but they are either not the model im looking for, are left handed, or are not level wind.

5. coolbig2

coolbig2 New Member

State:
    Greenville, SC
    I might as well post what I am looking for in another reel if finding one of these becomes more trouble than its worth.

Enough line capacity to hold a suffecient ammount of 30lb mono

Castability-I had purchased a Penn 209 with the same intentions of this one, come to find out I couldnt cast the thing worth a darn.

Size-Ties in with casability, I do have big hands, but trying to cast a giant reel is not too good for me. Same can be said with a small reel.

Weight-Not as much of an issue, my prefferd method it cast, sit, and wait.

Gears- Ive had a bad experience with the plastic gears being stripped out of cheaper model reels from bass pro. Not the Cat maxx mind you, but I dont trust BPS branded gear too much anymore.

6. coolbig2

coolbig2 New Member

State:
    Greenville, SC
    Wish I could edit my post...But anyways, I've been reading some reveiws about okuma reels. They have the line capactiy I need, same place Im getting my rod (catfish connection) metal gears, level wind. Has anybody fished with these (OKUMA CLASSIC PRO 302L B-CAST is the one im looking at). They are cheaper, which means more cash left over which I can invest in some good quality bank sticks.

7. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcome To The B.o.c. ! Keep Trying Ebay. I Got A New,big Iron "non-levelwind" Ir435cx For $35 And A Like New,only Used Twice Big Iron Ir320 "levelwind" For $45. I Got Both Reels On Ebay. As The Above Post Stated ,quantum Is Not Making These Models Anymore And Have Replaced Them With The Cabo Models. I Don't Own But Have Fished With The Cabos And They Are Awesome Reels But Will Cost You At Least $150! I Also Have A Penn 320 Gt2 That I Got Off Ebay, It's Comparable To The Iron Ir320. Both Are Levelwind And Hold 320/20. Both Have Great Drag Systems. I Got The Penn For $53. Good Luck!

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I know a guide on the Misssissippi who uses the Big Iron reels for his clients, so they must be pretty rugged reels. Of course, Penn is famous for ruggedness; the graphite and mag Penns are supposed to cast extremely well, too.