Need Help in Learning how to catch the big catfish

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by dolittle9, Jan 22, 2010.

1. dolittle9

dolittle9 Well-Known Member

State:
    Lake Wylie, SC
    Hello Everyone

I have been reading alot of you guy's post and have wrote down alot of your suggeston. I'm new to catfishing scene. I've been a recreatinal fisherman all my life when I got a chance to go and now I'm retired so I plan on going a whole lot more. I have use mostly earth worms and at the beach blood worms and shrimp and I have caught some fish but nothing like what you guys have pictures of I mean the biggest fish I ever caught was a 8.0 lb channelcat and it was in Fla. I guess what I'm asking is do I need to re-think my way of Fishing and start from scratch. I hope to meet some of you guy's on my Home lake Wylie maybe even hook up and go with You all to watch how you do it. The equipment I need to get started. I know you have to pay your dues and chalk up your mistakes as a learning expericence I know I have a lot to learn The help I need is this or any suggestion would help

1) Where or how do you find Gizzard Shad or the cut bait you all talk about?

2) What is drifting?

3) Does that catfish stuff that is advertized (that really stinks) reallly work?

4) What am I looking for on the Fishfinder? ( just got a Boat )

5) Where do you find the cats or Where to look for them? ( I guess that is the 64 Million Dollar Question)

Thanks

Bob "Dolittle"

2. skiff1

skiff1 New Member

State:
    south caro
    with them types of questions you might wanna set a day aside an fish with a guide like roundhill or someone they will be able to show you in person its alot to learn at one time once you get the basics tho you can take it from there don't be afraid to try new things

3. macdaddy

macdaddy New Member

State:
    GEORGIA
    What he said ... You will come out better getting a Great Guide like Roundhill on Santee for just one trip. That man will show you everything you need to know and explain why he doing what he's doing. That will bump you ahead in your fishing a good year of cost trying to figure it out. Plus show you around the lake and how to run it safely. Something Worth thinking about !!!!!!!!!!
    Cut down on Cost get someone to go with you and split the price of a trip........ Roundhill gives BOC discounts..

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  4. dolittle9

State:
    Lake Wylie, SC
    Thanks Skiff1,Macdaddy I was thinking about that too, but did'nt know who to choose

Bob "Dolittle"

5. macdaddy

macdaddy New Member

State:
    GEORGIA
    He's under Guides on this Site Capt. Roundhill. You will have the best time fishing in your life. Just sit back and laugh at this guy all day and listen the the tells. But he will teach you everything he knows...and hold nothing back .... Tell him Macdaddy sent you lol

6. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    Where are you located??? There might be someone on your home lake that can help...

7. kennethu

kennethu New Member

State:
    sc
    Are you near wateree ? I am usually out of town at work on thurs-sun and fish through the week so sometimes I have a hard time finding a fishing partner because most of my buds work during the week, so I would not mind letting you come along on wateree, I am no professional but I think I can answer most of your questions or at least get you headed in the right direction! :Happy:

8. dolittle9

State:
    Lake Wylie, SC
    ok well thanks I live on Lake Wylie maybe we can hook up sometime only thing I know about Wateree is where the Dam I"m retired from Duke Power

Bob "Doilttle"

9. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Bob "Doilttle", send me a text message sometime, or e-mail me at dmelhorn@carolina.rr.com and you can go out with me on my boat and I can show you some things on Lake Wylie.

Be sure to come to one of the Carolina Catfish Club meetings and you will meet a lot of folks from this forum that fish Lake Wylie. Talking face to face is a lot easier than typing stuff out online. Be sure to send me your e-mail address and I will add you to the club mailing list.

10. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    Bob, i just sent you a pm.
    It might be helpful to come to a local tourney to do some observing-if you dont want to fish. The catawba catfish club has a tourney on lake wateree on jan 30th. if you dont fish-it would be useful to come to the weighin and talk to folks, look at their boats, look at their fishing rigs and learn while observing.
    Joining the carolina catfish club will help alot too. The members will help answer alot of your questions.

11. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    good luck bob. im back in the hospital but when i get out give me a pm,
    maybe we can go out on wateree. i'll let you know when i feel like wetting a
    hook. typing left handed, so i want be typing much.:handshake:

12. jimmys

jimmys New Member

State:
    iva s.c.
    that's some great info thanks :act-up:

13. dolittle9

State:
    Lake Wylie, SC
    Ok Gotta Go I hope everything is going to be alright. I will add you and your family to my prayer list hope your stay is short and that God works thru the Dr's to get you better

Thanks for the reply

Dolittle

14. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Bob, you are added to the Carolina Catfish Club mailing list!

Wylie it fickle right now. Last we I put 31 blues in the boat, and today it was 4. The rains and muddy water play a big role in the bite in the winter. Once things settle I will PM you and you jump on the boat with me.

15. dolittle9

State:
    Lake Wylie, SC
    ok thanks can't wait

Dolittle