Need help im new to fishing for flathead catfish

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by catfishman352007, Mar 28, 2009.

1. catfishman352007

catfishman352007 New Member

State:
    ARNOLD/IMPERIAL
    hey all what do flatties bite on?and where can i fish for them ?all info will b appriciated :embarassed::embarassed::embarassed::embarassed:

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I only use live bait for flatheads. Perch, chubs and mudcats. I like the mudcats best. I float them over log jams and around rocky shore lines.

3. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    Natural live bait such as bluegill, and other baits used with the right hook sizes and equipment big enough to get them in will work well where you find flats, fished next to structure. There are alot of ways to fish for flats but, the easiest is using live bait near structure fished at night and have patience. Good luck.

4. kansas_catman_16

kansas_catman_16 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    for gear i'd go with about an 8ft medium heavy fishing rod. and a good baitcaster real with a clicker (some spinning outfits have clickers). when spooling up if ur just fishing undercut banks or riprap id use about 25lb mono. but if your fishing heavy heavy cover(where big flats love to hide) id step it up anywhere from 50lb-80lb braided line to pull them out for hooks i'd use eitha a regular J-style hook in size #5-6 or larger circle hooks and octopus style hooks in #7-8. id fish for them next to like i said undercut banks and heavy snags day/night but also can get them off of riprap banks and jetties at night when there feeding also able to catch them in dam washouts if ur fishing a river. for bait u gotta stick to stricktly live bait. i use big blue gills,sunfish,baby carp,goldfish,big shad(hard to keep alive), big creek chubs, or big suckers. fish for flats mostly fish at night and the biggest thing is TO HAVE PATIENCE there not like channels and blues where theres a bunch in a school theres probably only 3-4flats to a piece of cover. but once u stick one hold on ur in for a fight:crazy::smile2:. i hope this helps. GOOD LUCK:cool2:

5. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Fish right behind wing dikes that have a slot cut in them and have a lil curent, live or fresh cut bait will work. You find a spot or 2 on the mo or miss river like that and get a nice flatt you can go back a week later and get another.:cool2:

6. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    What? Whats kind of bait is a mudcat? I thought a flathead was a mudcat. :confused2:

As far as the question goes. Flatheads will bite on just about everything. Worms, grasshoppers, and other fish. Some like to use dead bait others live. Places are the Mo.and Miss. rivers and lakes like truman and LOZ. Fish structure from rocks to trees.....

7. jlcperformance

jlcperformance New Member

State:
    moberly, missouri
    im pretty sure he was referring to mudcat as a bullhead

8. Quackheadjh

Quackheadjh New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I do 95% of my Flathead fishing on the smaller rivers and have found that fresh green sunfish and creek chubs are hard to beat. Although 3 weeks ago I netted a 50 pound Flathead caught on a chunk of moon-eye, I do agree with Crazy I have seen lots of Flats caught on cut bait.

9. Team Backwoods

Team Backwoods New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Flatheads are strictly predatory, they stay in deep holes during the heat of the day, and move into mouths of creeks, and shallow areas where bait fish are to hunt at night. Blue gill, shad, worms, bullhead, and my personal favorite is green sunfish (AKA Black Perch) are all good baits. If you use worms, dont be shy put a big ball of them on that hook. If I am out lookin for food, I would get the steak, not the hotdog.

10. jlcperformance

jlcperformance New Member

State:
    moberly, missouri
    i have caught a few flats during the day on the rivers...just pull up to a big ol log jam and put u a big ol live perch on the hook. drop the line straight down in front of the logs and when u feel the line hit the bottom reel ur line up 2-3 times. and hang on cuz if there is a flattie around he is gonna hit pretty hard. ive seen em jerk the end of my pole down so hard it was touchin water. i usually put 3 poles out like this in various spots along the log jam and have been very successful doing so especially in smaller rivers.

11. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Nick, Welcome to the BOC...

Yea, Flatcats,, anything that swims,, or that used to (fresh cut), and nightcrawlers,,, will catch'm...