Need help if anyone can offer...

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by river_runner_85, Aug 31, 2008.

1. river_runner_85

river_runner_85 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Missouri
    I posted this in the repair forum but I think anywhere I can post this will help.

We were out today doing some fishing and ran into a problem. The boat was running just fine and then we went to go hammer down on it and it reved up slowed the throttle down and putted around. It seemed like if we stayed in low gear it did just fine. When we got off of the river, went back to the house and took the prop off. Thought it could be a spun prop. But it looked just fine. On something like this can looks be decieving. It felt pretty tight on the shaft. We have no idea what it could be and was just wondering if anyone had any ideas. It seems like when we hammer down on it, it wants to rev through the roof. Is something not engaging. Please help if you can. Much appreciated.

2. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Couple of things come to mind, but may be something entirely different.
    Cavitation
    Spun prop (may feel tight)
    Worn out gear in lower unit
    All three could cause those symptoms.

3. bluetick1897

bluetick1897 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I would say 90% its a spun prop if you could move at slow speeds. There really is no way to tell just to look at them. Be happy. Its an easy fix.

4. river_runner_85

river_runner_85 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Yeah I heard it was an easy fix. Thanks for your guys input. We just have to diagnose it before hand. But thats what I have heard from a few people so far.

5. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    Did it finally catch? We have been out there quite a bit recently and have had cavitation problems with air pockets but if you give it a minute it will catch and take off. I don't know if that is what yours is doing but I talked to another guy who was having trouble and thought he spun a prop but it was just a cavitation problem.