Need help if anyone can offer...

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by river_runner_85, Aug 31, 2008.

1. river_runner_85

river_runner_85 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Missouri
    We were out today doing some fishing and ran into a problem. The boat was running just fine and then we went to go hammer down on it and it reved up slowed the throttle down and putted around. It seemed like if we stayed in low gear it did just fine. When we got off of the river, went back to the house and took the prop off. Thought it could be a spun prop. But it looked just fine. On something like this can looks be decieving. It felt pretty tight on the shaft. We have no idea what it could be and was just wondering if anyone had any ideas. It seems like when we hammer down on it, it wants to rev through the roof. Is something not engaging. Please help if you can. Much appreciated.

2. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Mine was doing that but more of a fuel problem, but it did not sound like yours was bogging down????Guess I would start with the basics and do a spark and compression test just to eleminate the basics. If it is a lower unit problem you are referring to that is definatley over my head. I am sure bubbakat will chime in and point you in the right direction.

3. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Jeff, Motor model, brand, year, HP, would probably be helpful.

4. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    could be in the drive shat in the foot

5. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    Jeff, it sounds like you might possibly be trimmed up to high causing it to cavitate or ventilate. The prop is sucking air into it, and not getting any bite.
    Just a guess, but something to consider.

6. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    Has this problem exsisted or did this just start?

7. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa New Member

State:
    seminole, oklahoma
    I have the same problem with a boat that I just bought. Mine does sound like it boggs down a little though. How'd you fix yours?

8. river_runner_85

State:
    Kansas City, Missouri
    No this wasn't bogging down at all. It was running like a champ. It would just rev through the roof when we went to hammer down on it. Made me think it was a spun hub. But it looked good or at least i thought.

9. river_runner_85

State:
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Problem started today. We went to go hammer down on it to get back down the river and thats when it started. It is a Yamaha, 70hp, and I'm guessing it is a 2001 or 2002. Can't remember.

10. flat fighter

flat fighter New Member

State:
    kansas
    I was with him when this happened. the motor has been working perfectly till now and wish it was a simple as a trim problem. At idle speed it engages fine but as you rev up and put more torque on it it revs high but doesn't go any faster kinda like a clutch slippin in a car

11. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    When this happens to me I just paddle harder......:eek:oooh:

12. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    River Runner, it sounds like a spun prop. There is a way you can check to see. With motor not running. While off the water, put the motor in gear, take the cowl off the engine and hold the flywheel. While holding the flywheel stand on the prop and push down hard. If the prop spins and the motor doesn't, the prop is slipping. Ninety percent of spun props have no visual signs of being spun. Vern

13. river_runner_85

State:
    Kansas City, Missouri
    I will definetly have to try that thanks for the input.

14. river_runner_85

State:
    Kansas City, Missouri
    yeah i wished that worked in this big boat. LOL

15. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Hmm?? Almost sounds like something in the gear train is fubar??? but parrish's diagnose sounds likely too...

16. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    May want to disconnect the battery, I know people who have done that test and almost lost some toes because the motor turned over....:eek:oooh:

17. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    My engine did the same thing when I spun the prop hub. Everything looked fine but when I tried to pull the hub out of the prop it took a mallet to get it out. Put a new hub in and it worked perfectly. Hubs are cheap, put in a new one and try it.

18. river_runner_85

State:
    Kansas City, Missouri
    We plan on going Fri. and getting the hub fixed. Called the prop shop and I can sit there and wait on it while it is being worked on. Then I called a couple of other places and found out that they send the props to the first place I called. It is going to be about $45. I don't think that is too bad. I can't wait. We are planning a fishing trip Sat night.

19. river_runner_85

State:
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Well got the new hub yesterday. We are going out tonight and doing some fishing. We will find out then if it was the problem. I'm pretty sure it was. Thanks to all for your help and opinions.

20. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Try Iboats.com

Seloc Marine has outstanding owner manuals that come with support from mechanics and a huge video library to help diagnose and fix anything. I love it and refer to it all the time.