Need Help Getting Bait Around Parkville and Leavenworth

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by talk2sampson, Jan 18, 2007.

1. talk2sampson

talk2sampson New Member

State:
    smithville mo
    I fish the Missouri between Parkville and Leavenworth and generally use gills or goldfish, and sometimes will use shad if I have time to go up to smithville and catch them. Anyone out there have any luck catching skipjacks or netting shad in that area? Ive tried to net shad in a couple creeks but mainly caught carp. Any other bait suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Willy

Willy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Getting bait at times is tough but it can be done.Look for shad behind dikes in deep water or in shallow water in the summer if you can see them popping its even easier.Skipjack is a little different deal as there is not a lot of them here I have found and i really could'nt steer ya to them as I have only gotten a few over the years.Nothing concrete in where to go or a place that I could say yes they are there in any numbers.Just luck in finding them for me in the past.

3. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    This time of Year shad will be stacked up behind the wing dykes, I've had My best luck behind "blown out" dykes in 20'+ of water.

during the summer the old moat for the Argosy can be a good spot to net shad. Its just downstream a bit from P-ville

4. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Sometimes you can get shad or catch a few goldeye right there in Parkville at English Landing Park where the creek dumps into the Missouri. It's hit and miss, and I've had most of my luck in March - Early June. One guy told me that sometimes when the creek is running there he can catch a goldeye on every cast, but I haven't seen it like that, at least not yet.

5. talk2sampson

talk2sampson New Member

State:
    smithville mo
    Thanks for the advice guys. Brad, I checked out your link to kccatfish sounds like a good time. I will be looking for the schedule in march. Which boat ramp do you launch from?

6. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    The tournys will be launching from Kaw point, pending approval from Wy Co.