Need help from you Virginia boys!

Discussion in 'LOCAL VIRGINIA TALK' started by irishpride42, Jul 2, 2007.

1. irishpride42

irishpride42 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Ok so I will be heading down up to Roanoke, Virginia Friday and Sat. We are coming there for my fiance to take her boards for nursing school but my question is, is there anywhere close to the airport area I could go fish while she is taking here test? It would have to be a quick trip just to waste time because her test will only last 1.5-3 hours. Also, what else is there do for the evening friday and during the day Sat. before we leave. Anything we need to see?

Thanks in advance!

2. criggster

criggster New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Hey Irish, you'll be right in my backdoor. The airports within five minutes drive. There is the Roanoke River nearby, it's the closest river. You can get there in a matter of about ten minutes from the airport. There may be lots of people there since it is the two days after the 4th. Are you getting here on Thurs. night or Friday? I am on vacation from the 4th through the 11th. I usually don't fish during the week of the fourth because of all of the people, but if you went early enough you may be able to beat the crowds. If you are interested in details send me a PM.

3. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Downtown. Corn Beef and Co. Pool tables, good food, and yea buddy, Guiness on tap!
    Never leave Roanoke without it.

4. irishpride42

irishpride42 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Excellent thank you guys so much!

5. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    As Albert said Roanoke river is closest, I f you go back down I-81 to exit 132 the crowds on the river won't be as bad. Smallmouth action is really good right now. There are several good spots you can wade the river around there. If you go this route let me know, I can show you the access araeas and some private places you can fish, I live right in this arae and know most of the people that live on the river. Tubes and senkos are working well right know.
    Chip

6. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Well, Zach, as you can see...those Roanoke guys are about the friendliest bunch on the planet!

Lawz-a-mercy...I sure do love southwest Virginia!:big_smile:

7. TScottW99

TScottW99 New Member

State:
    NRV, VA
    The guys above gave you good advice. I also know a couple areas to wade and fish on the Roanoke, but am working.

You can also hit Smith Mountain on Hardy Road. I used to go to the boat landing and catch carp when I was really borde :crazy: Boy the dirty looks you get from the bass fisherman hitting the lakes :smile2:

8. Texas Wrangler

Texas Wrangler New Member

State:
    Virginia
  9. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Martins in downtown is a good place with great Ribs, BBQ, Prime Rib, and live music. I'll be playing there next Wed. The Market area downtown is another place to visit; shops, good food, Guinness on tap, and several places with events going on. This Friday is First Fridays, (Beer, Wine and live music outdoors )just up the street from the market. Mill Mtn. Coffee Shop is at the market also. Then you should go up to the STAR on Mill Mountain and watch the sun go down over Roanoke. It's just a ten minute drive from downtown. I'd love to show you around but I'll be in Williamsburg this weekend.