Need help for Space Experiment!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by heavyduty, Dec 3, 2006.

1. heavyduty

heavyduty New Member

State:
    Grand Gulf,MS
    My son has to do a space experiment with a half page report for his sixth grade class. Does anybody have any suggestions? Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    might do a demonstration or something similar with a gps...they do work because of satellites ya know:wink:

3. FishBrew

FishBrew New Member

State:
    North Texas
    wow, 6th grade has come along way. An experiment, in space !! Kinda puts those bus field trip to the local factory in perspective. :tounge_out: :big_smile:

4. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Scott, he doesn't have to resort to an experiment about space for it to be related to the space program.

There's been so much related products that've come from the space program that it's hard to imagine them all, and it's taken for granted in everyday life.

When ever something is needed, the idea is put out to developers in it's field, money is granted and the products tested then decided upon as to which one to use.

From micro processors that work in milivolts at the speed of light, 186,000 ft per second, to the tires on your car are a direct developement of the space program. I'm positive that the products you use in your occupation have developed directly from the space program.

Pick one, research it's developement and show a demonstration of it's advancement through the need of our government to excell in the exploration of space.

Don't know if you've seen this thread, but I was down at Kennedy Space Center and Canaveral Air Force station early in November. Here's a few pics if your son's interested.

http://detectorx.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=5052#5052

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

What about the good old styrofoam universe with the sun and all the planets? Not hard to assemble and can easily be built by a sixth grader. Don't forget Pluto is no longer considered a planet.

here is web site that may help with some more ideas.

www.scienceproject.com

6. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Benji, that's a cool site. I bet it'll be a big help.

In looking through there, I saw an experiment about moon phases and why we see the moon as we do at different times of the month.

If that project were to be chosen, some information that could be added to the report is; The space shuttle program is being phased out and moon exploration is back in progress, with a new launch vehicle like the Titan rocket, and back to splash down landings.

This is supposed to progress over the next ten years.

I look to see many more products for day to day use because of the space program's need for better everything.

7. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    You might do one on photo satilights. Use google and show your house up close.
    Bill

8. heavyduty

heavyduty New Member

State:
    Grand Gulf,MS
    Thanks Brothers! I knew i could count on yall to give me some ideas, me and my son didnt have a clue. As soon as he gets out of school today I will give him these ideas.

9. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Quote "From micro processors that work in milivolts at the speed of light, 186,000 ft per second"
    Wow Bob,
    Things are pretty laid back in your part of the world, It's 186,000 miles per second around here:wink: ...W

10. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Yup, we kind of let it do it's own thing around here.

Thanks for the correction. I always got it wrong in school too.

11. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    get ahold of catman529 , have himhelp you with one of dem solar balloons.smokey