Need help for making loglines?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by JThompson, Mar 26, 2008.

1. JThompson

JThompson New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I am new to the site, but have read a lot of information. I am wanting to make these rigs, that I think are called log lines, but could be wrong. I know they involve some kind of shock absorber, like an intertube, and you wrap the around logs in log jams to target big flathead. If any one knows anything about what I'm talking about and can show me a picture it would be greatly appreciated. I am looking for something very strong for monster flatheads in logjams. thanks for any help, jt

2. bigfish08

bigfish08 New Member

State:
    ohio
    a live bluegill, any abu garcia reel with a clicker, i nice heavy pole in the 8 to 10 ft. length and some 40 pound mono, alot more fun than limblining.:wink:

3. bigfish08

bigfish08 New Member

State:
    ohio
    welcome to the site!:big_smile:

4. 45CATFISH

45CATFISH New Member

State:
    HENDERSON,LOUISIANA
    WELCOME TO THE CLUB.I HAVE NOT SEEN ANY OF THESE LINES,BUT AM INTERESTED IN SEEING SOME MYSELF.

5. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    LIMB LINES is what i call them and you can get a video at megacat.com that covers all the basics
    needed good hook
    good line
    nail and
    a bungy cord is what i use
    the rest is just basic like baite
    for flaties live baite
    channels whatever theyre bitting on
    blues the same

6. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Welcome to the BOC from southeast kentucky

7. carpetman

carpetman New Member

State:
    illinois
    Hey what part of IlLinois are you from?

8. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    Jonathan, Welcome to BOC!!!

9. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Jonathan, Welcome to the B.O.C.

I believe what your asking about is technically a limb line. It is usually made by tieing a long, heavy line to a limb (or log) and baiting it with a large bait for the flatheads. The inner tube comes in as a shock absorber. If you feel you will need a heavy shock absorber, cut a fat strip out of the innertube. You use the same line you tied to the log to tie to the tube, leave a large loop in the line which is longer than you can stretch the inner tube band. Then tie the line to the other side of the band. When the big fish is hooked, it uses it's energy stretching the band back and forth until its too tired. If it didn't have the band, the fish is subject to breaking the line, straightening the hook, or pulling the hook out. I am no artist, but it would look somewhat like this... soon as you have your 10 posts. LOL

Attached Files:

10. JThompson

JThompson New Member

State:
    Illinois
    thanks for the help

11. JThompson

JThompson New Member

State:
    Illinois
    and I am from central illinois, west of bloomington for whoever asked

12. JThompson

JThompson New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Typically how long are the lines, and how long and wide is the piece of rubber

13. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.

if i was going to do it i would use this tech.

14. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    depending on the water you fish i make some 8' -20' and keep them a foot off the bottom if you get them any higher thye gar will get your baite hope this helps

15. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    on the rubber dont know i use bungy cords just bend the hooks shut and tie off of them and on the other end we use 16penny nails to the log and hammer the nail in then bend the nail
    the when we are done we pull the nails out
    so as not to leave the mess
    where we fish people leave junk all over the place and even there lines tied to the trees they make me sick
    some people dont have any respect for our waters
    who wants to see inner tubes and line just hanging off of trees or stumps

16. RBBH

RBBH New Member

State:
    illinois
    The ones we have used in the past are made with heavy duty line. I also use the innertubes off of a small tractor. The innertubes are about 24" long. We use about 12" of line on each end. We drive a nail into a log and loop one end on the nail. The other has the hook. Make sure you put your name, address on each line, I'm pretty sure thats the law.

We use these because people generally don't see these because they are under water. I've had fish stolen when they can see the lines. You might want to check because these logstraps and limblines aren't legal everywhere.

Good LUck

17. JThompson

JThompson New Member

State:
    Illinois
    thanks again for all the help, do you think those rubber tie down straps, like a 24" long one will work good as a shock absorber?

18. KanHeadhunter

KanHeadhunter New Member

State:
    S. E. K.
    JTHomp,,,Here is my set/limb/log lines. I use camo braid line, 8oz weight, 18-20 in. black rubber strap(shock absorber) & 8/0 Gama circle hook or Diiachci 7/0 Circle Chunk Light hook(my fav).

I will try and make a picture??

Main line 6-10 feet long Shock absorber Line 8oz wt. line circle hook
    -------------------------$$$$$$$$$$$$$-------8oz----hook

The line between the shock absorber and the weight is 6 inches, also 6ins. between between weight and hook.

19. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    sound like my rig have u seen jacks video

20. KanHeadhunter

KanHeadhunter New Member

State:
    S. E. K.
    I haven't seen the video,,,,Where can I find it??