Need help fishing with Shrimp for bait.

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Nermal, Oct 23, 2006.

1. Nermal

Nermal New Member

I was wondering if someone could please help me out. Out here in AZ in the Urban Lakes shrimp is a very good bait(for channel cats). I use it and I get a ton of bites but when I set the hook I seem to pull it out of the cat's mouth or set the hook took soon. I usually use a slip sinker rig off the bottom(tight lined). For the shrimp I peel some of the tail plates off and thread on the hook tail first with the thick part near the hook point exposed. I've been using size 3/0 J-hooks and have tried the 3/0 Owner Circle hooks. Sometimes the circle hooks set themselves but it is real hard to thread the shrimp on the circle hooks. My timing must be off while trying to set the hook. Any help on the correct method to fish with shrimp would be much appreciated and thanks.

2. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    If you are used to the J hooks, it'll take a while to gett used to circles. With shrimp, I use Kahles, usually in the 3/0 to 6/0 size, depends on what I have in the tackle kit I bring with me that day. If you are having problems threading the shrimp, it may be becaue you are using frozen shrimp and it tends to break into pieces or get sliced by the hook when threading it on. One way to help the problem is by cutting or breaking the shrimp into smaller pieces, then thread it on the hook. The bend on the wider gap Kahle is also easier to get the shrimp around than a J hook, Kahle's also solve the problem of hook setting if you are a hard hook setting type. You can sett the hook so hard that the eyeballs pop out if you want, or just let the catfish set the hook themselves. I do both.

3. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Hey Jerry, in the midwest it's hard to find the size hooks y'all make reference to all the time. Old timers here call hooks that size "turtle hooks". I found this web site after having a #2 on 20# line straightened out twice....I went to a 1/0 tru-turn, but that's really too small also isn't it? All the guys I ask until I found this forum said you can catch big fish on a small hook (even the military survival training I had), but it just isn't so is it. Wish I'd found you guys earlier this year, but didn't have a PC....

4. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    peel the whole shrimp and thread it on the hook starting at the big end, make sure the hook gap is open and the point exposed ,and dont try to set the hook with a circle hook,you will miss them everytime if you try to set the hook

5. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I agree with several of the other posters - good info! I like to cut my raw, peeled, thawed shrimp into chunks. I then pack these chunks on a 2/0 or 3/0 Kahle. Be sure to ALWAYS leave the hook point exposed. Interestingly, I have had really good luck drifting and floating shrimp.

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I've fished with shrimp in resevoirs for years.
    I prefer a 16 count size shrimp ,FRESH, and unshelled.
    I thread the whole shrimp on a 3/0-5/0 hook from head to tail. I'll expose the hook point right before the tail.

I dont think its necessary to shell shrimp as natural forage such as crayfish aren't shelled. I prefer the shell on mainly due to bait durability and the shell itself harbors alot of the scent.
    Even surf fishing in the ocean like this past weekend I'll fish shell on for durability.
    The surf was rough and there were alot of pickers out there. They'll have to pick a little harder.

7. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Im with tony i hook mine from the fat end towards the tail only i dont bother to peel mine we get the bait type shrimp here with the heads on en sometimes i take the head off sometimes if the shrimp are small i hook 2 or 3 through the side for one bait

8. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Do you guys use plain schrimp or add to it-here in the midwest guys add garlic powder etc. Even sell it in the baitshops that way. Helpful?

9. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I use shrimp often and always whole with shell on and raw. I use big hooks6-0, 8-0 or 10 -0. I don't use flavor of any type but keep my shrimp frozen fresh. After I get them home I divide them into smaller amounts because they don't refreeze well. I have my best luck with shrimp fishing near shore or cover, not often do I catch in deep water with shrimp. My catch in shallow water is sometimes channels but when I find a fish travel area from deep to shallow I catch a lot of blues. Good luck with the shrimp they can have their place.

10. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    I have always run the hook through the second plate from the tail perpendicular to the direction of the shrimp. I never take off the exoskeleton. I always use circle hooks with shrimp.

I dont seem to have the trouble you do... maybe it will work for you too?

Sal

11. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    You don't need a big hook to catch channels, don't know about blues as the only ones I've caught have been since I started using 4/0 and larger circles and Kahles. I've caught 4 lb channels on #6 long shanks Mustad's I used for bluegill fishing. A #4 to #1 will be better if you can't get bigger hooks, a 1/0 even better. J's will work, though I think Kahles are better for threading on the shrimp. The main thing is they need to be strong hooks, no flimsey wire like for crappie.

12. Bryan Roseberry

Bryan Roseberry New Member

Can some one put a picture of a Kahle's hook on? What is it?

13. colten

colten Member

State:
    Texas
    I have always caught more fish by peeling the shrimp. Another thing you can try is to soak the shrimp in vanilla extract overnight. It helps sometimes.

14. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Fresh and salt water,you can fish for and catch fish from 8 inches to 8 feet on a small piece to a single shrimp.Live Shrimp.Craw fish and Minnows will pick at and eat shrimp.Huge fish will often bite a small shrimp as a human will eat a M&M,P-Nut or such. My kids would go through hundreds of pounds of approx.1 inch bait shrimp a year.We would catch them with a cast net in season and freeze them.We fished them from small segments to stringing a handful on a large hook.I think the shell helps hold the shrimp on and I hook it through the shell,meat and the shell on the other side.I would cut me up some small segments and start with a #8,then#6,then#4 hook and work up until I find out what size fish that I am dealing with.Blue gill,and small Channel cats can drive you up the wall in fresh water.You just might be in little fish.Some type of small "Bait bag" to hold your shrimp on the hook can often help there.I have fished with shrimp for over 50 years.You are not being picked on.We all wish that a shrimp was as tough as a squid.peewee-williams

15. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I don;t know how to do the picture thing.Look up Bass Pro,Cabela's,Eagle Claw or Mastad and then Kahle.Mustad Kahle hooks seem to run smaller by size and seem to be a smaller wire with a different temper to it than the Eagle Claw.Now I say "seems" as this was my opinion of the two brands side by side a couple of years ago.Each would seem to have it's advantage or disadvantage to me according to the intended use.I like and use the #8 for sunfish and bait fish.peewee-williams

16. Nermal

Nermal New Member

Ok, thanks for everyone's replies. Definitely some things to try here.

17. Karoake_katfish

Karoake_katfish New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Like it has been said many times. The shell shouldnt be pulled off because that is where some of the sent is also,crayfish,crabs, and others that have shell on them are not peeled when the fish feed on them so i would suggest leaving the shell on for the smell and for the ability to keep it on the hook better .