Need Help fishing the Potamac

Discussion in 'LOCAL VIRGINIA TALK' started by FishyFilly, Apr 4, 2009.

1. FishyFilly

FishyFilly New Member

State:
    virginia
    I'm new to boating in the Northern Virginia area and need some serious help as far as getting the low down on how to fish the potomac... no secret spots neccessary. I really just don't know where to get the gill nets to caught gizzard shad or how to go about it. I have a 21 ft center console and am willing to share space with anyone who can help. Thanks

2. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    The Potomac is pretty easy to figure out. I've only fished it by boat below the WW bridge. The Fort Washington area is great for catfishing. Piscataway{sp} creek is another good area. Really anywhere you find deep water and flats will hold fish depending on the tide and time of year.

I can't help with a gill net, but shad can be found on the flats and the many smaller creeks. Good luck.

3. FishyFilly

FishyFilly New Member

State:
    virginia
    Thanks alot Rebcatman,
    That actually gives me alot more to go by then I had in mind, I'm assuming that most people just use cast nets to caught their bait then? Well either way I think I just need to grab the bull by the horns and do my time. Thanks again

4. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Tom won't steer you wrong, I can assure you, Filipe.

Welcome to the BOC, friend! :0a25:

5. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    You are welcome. You can use a castnet, but check out the regulations, since different parts of the river are under different rules, and I won't even attempt to explain them since I'm not even sure I know them all.

What I have done in the past is either catch a bunch of bluegills before the trip, or spending some time at the start of the trip catching bluegill or even white perch on worms.

6. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    FishyFilly,
    You have a P.M. I can hook you up.

7. clatorlakecat

clatorlakecat New Member

State:
    va
    hello member, i fish the claytor lake in pulaski county ,,, my self i use my 6 or 8 foot net to catch my blue gills.so much easier that way though u have to watch out for sticks and other things that can ruin your net,trust me their not cheap neither.so thought i say hello and good luck!:wink:

8. FishyFilly

FishyFilly New Member

State:
    virginia
    Thanks for all the help guys

9. cvyarb

cvyarb New Member

State:
    virginia
    I live in this area as well and would like to fish it. Do minnows or worms work for catching cat also, or are the bluegills the best? How much weight should be used, and how far up from the bait fish to get him to be on the bottom? Also, is it too early to try for catfish now??

Thak you for your help. I've only fished lakes in VA for cat (worms) and the cuts in the St. John's river in Florida (shrimp), I need advice for fishing the Potomac!