Need Help fishing the Missouri River

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Hooked-on-cats, Feb 1, 2006.

1. Hooked-on-cats

Hooked-on-cats New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I've been fishing the missouri for a couple years neer Weldon Springs but never this early in the year. When its cold should I be concentrating around wing-dikes or feeder creeks and sloughs? If you have any ideas please let me know.

2. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    This is the first winter I've fished it as well, and I'm having pretty poor luck. I've heard (and tried) both deep holes off the dykes as well as in the shallows as they warm up quicker. Haven't done much good at either one, but have caught a couple of small channels near feeder creeks and sanbars between the dykes. Somebody who's better at it than me will chime in in a minute with some good advice, though.:)

3. Blue Bruiser

Blue Bruiser New Member

State:
    St Louis, Missouri
    Welcome to the BOC brother. First let me start by saying that this time of the year can produce some awesome fishing on the MO. The deepest holes in your stretch of river, which are most likely going to be off a dike somewhere, will hold a mass amount of Big Blues during these winter months. Just be sure to scale your baits way down from what you use in the warmer water situations. Remember those big kitties metabolism is slooooowwww right now. Using cut shad no longer than 3 inches in length are the prime time bait on the Mo here right now. As far as fishing those feeder creeks, as the year progresses and the temps hit the 60's steady, the crappie are gettin ready to spawn, sure those feeder creeks warm up faster. Usually you will find lots of smaller chanells there. Chanells are programmed to roam, and those creeks will be one of the first places visited during this "Warming Stage". Also as the water warming trend progresses DO NOT neglect the flats. If you have a dike with a 20 foot hole behind it that hikes up on a 7-10 foot sand flat. PRIME TIME! Well quit readin this and get out and start fishin bud. lol Once again Welcome to the BOC.

4. Chanellocked

Chanellocked New Member

State:
    Lake St. Louis, MO
    If you can get to the discharge channel at the Labadie power plant, it shouldn't be that far upriver for you. I've had some luck at the Portage de Souix plant on the Mississippi, would think fishing would be the same at Labadie...Good Luck and welcome aboard...

5. Blue Bruiser

Blue Bruiser New Member

State:
    St Louis, Missouri
    Labadie is at least 10 miles up River from Weldon Springs. I am pretty sure that you will catch alot more Blues alot closer to home. I have fished Portage and done alright. I guess if you are after 10- 15 lb fish, Channel's and small, small Blues, thats kool. But if ya wanna catch the big Blues the warm water discharges are NOT the bet. ;) But hey maybe Im off the page.

6. Chanellocked

Chanellocked New Member

State:
    Lake St. Louis, MO
    Nah, Now that you mention it Bruiser, the biggest blue I caught at Portage de Souix was 15lbs(okay my biggest catfish ever), but we did net a ton of shiners there. ;)

7. Hooked-on-cats

Hooked-on-cats New Member

State:
    Missouri
    What size net do you throw? I work @ Basspro and the guys in fishing say 8', I just bought a 6' and so far its worked ok but I haven't gotten any huge amounts.

8. Chanellocked

Chanellocked New Member

State:
    Lake St. Louis, MO
    Sorry, I drifted on you, I throw an 8ft net(4ft radius), since I'm still new at it, I'm not consistant yet, however my partner does throw it quite well. Once you get good with your 6 footer, maybe upgrade to a bigger net. Since we seem to be having mild winter, Bruiser's got some good tips on finding big blues...Good Luck

9. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    I have listen to you guys for a couple years now say how winter fishing is so good.. I admit that there are not as many nuckleheads on the water but I have not been able to catch a fish all winter! This is my second year of going out in the cold and I starting to think I'll wait till spring. The water is so low I cant find the shad and I have not caught anything at the Labadie discharge. I had one brother tell me to watch for the fish stacking but hell, I couldn't tell anything on my fisheasy! I fished front of the dikes, back, the pools on both sides and every dark hole I could find and no fish.

10. Willy

Willy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    You could run 10 miles on the river and graph all the holes and pick out the 2 or 3 best concentrations of fish on the graph and fish them. Most of the time the blues will be the ones in the back or downriver part of the hole and if you can find a sandbar that is next to them fish on top of it and the fish will move up on top of it to feed sometime during the day,sunlight helps warm the water and also think about where the food collects that washes down the river,also think of what they will be feeding on,right now it's winter killed shad and carp. As to getting bait you just have to hunt for them and if you can find a hole that is next to a creekmouth check it. Bagged shad works in the winter real good as thats what they feed on now.

11. Chanellocked

Chanellocked New Member

State:
    Lake St. Louis, MO
    Dave, you may want to stockpile some shad at the end of summer and early fall when you find them, then you'll have some to get you thru the winter. As for finding the blues, Willy and Bruiser have pretty good bead on them. I just haven't had the time to this winter to fish(that will change). Sorry I couldn't be more help to you...