Need Help Fishing Lake Monticello

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by catlow37, Jun 6, 2008.

1. catlow37

catlow37 Member

State:
    Union, SC
    I have fished monticello for many years, but have just recently in the past 3-4 years started fishing for the big catfish that are their. I have heard of people who can go their and catch them on a regular basis, but I just can't seem to figure them out. With the wealth of knowledge on this site maybe some can shed some light on the situation.

I use the following setup when I fish the lake.

1. I use a 3 way swivel with a 2 oz sinker attached to the bottom af the swivel. My leader is usually between 18 - 24 inches with a 2 1/2 - 3 1/2 inch cork 2-6 inches above the hook.

2. Drift speed is between .2 and .5 mph never over .5 mph. I have 2 drift socks that I can use to control speed and sometimes I will use a controlled drift using my trolling motor.

3. Bait of choice is bream (I have scaleing the bream, filleting the bream and just cutting it into pieces) and I also have used herring.

4. I have drifted depths from 11 ft down to 110 ft.

5. Time of day is 6:00 am to about 1 pm.

6. I mainly concentrate my drift around the big water locked island in front of the 215 landing ( it has 3 bouys at the point of it facing the power plant, and 3 at the rear facing the 99 landing) and the rock dam toward the power house.

I guess thats about it, maybe some one on here can tell me where i am going astray. Any advice would be a great help and thanks in advance for the info.

2. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Lonnie,The best advise I can give is hire Capt. Chris Simpson of Fightin Da Blues Guide Service.:big_smile: He's a great teacher and can help with your problem.:wink: I talked to him yesterday and he's in tune with the Blues right now!:wink: I'm not gonna tell ya what he caught yesterday. But I'll put it this way. He had HAPPY CLIENTS!:wink:

3. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    pop pop is a smart man,take his advice and learn from the Monty Guru if you can swing it

4. martygreen

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    Now for my advice and I am no expert by any means but I have fished there many times and I always do better with the drift bite than the anchor bite:
    1.I would try using Shad[threadin or Gizzard]or white perch,the herring do ok but the other 3 are by far better from my experience
    2.I would use more of the Carolina Rig style[santee rig]with the slinky weight and about a 3ft leader with a 2in cigar float about 8-10 inches above the hook
    3.Try drifting more structure areas with good humps,long points and the road beds
    4.And this is most important-Stick with it,Monty is a very tough place to fish,your day will come,they may not always be giants,but they are always there and you never know when one is gonna be ready for a Smackdown,just ask pop pop

5. johnboy

johnboy New Member

State:
    Columbia SC
    Lonnie I have the same troubles and I have studied these posts for 2 years trying to get the answer...hopefully someone on here can help....

Marty, I have a couple of questions form your reply...first, where do you guys get shad from....do you catch them somewhere else, and then bring em or what....and this road bed?...what is that...good humps I get, but what about long points.........
    I appreciate the help here, and I have faith they are in there....I have tried big chunks of bream and perch , fillets of all kinds of fish, herring does the best for me, but little ones....the big baits for me never produce big bites...I have drifted till the sun goes down, and anchored ....makes no difference though I catch more fish drifting...

6. martygreen

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    yes we either buy bait or catch bait with castnet at Wylie or Wateree,there are 3 places that sell bait around the area but as it gets hotter the shad are harder to keep alive so you have to resort to catching it more then.
    Your Lake maps will show most old road beds and other similar things like submerged old buildings etc and you can anchor on the points that extend for long ways out in the lake ior drift those

7. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I'm usually hit and miss on Monty also. One of the guys from work said his dad has been catch cats in the 20-40 range over the last three weeks with bluegill. I don't how or where on the lake but thats their tale.