need help fishing a dam

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by foxracer1803, Oct 14, 2008.

1. foxracer1803

foxracer1803 New Member

State:
    indiana
    so im looking for any info that may help me catch a few cats b4 the end of the year, we have been fishing about 1/2 mile down from a dam and i want to move up closer to it, only problem is i have no idea what to look for. i know its a rocky bottom and about 1/4 mile away theres a bridge. i know after the bridge iot gets shallower and the current picks up. right up by the dam its got good current then the current drops off. we have been using minnows, shad, chicken liver and dough baits but have only caught 2 small small channelsany ideas here guys, i will take all the help i can get

2. tswebb71

tswebb71 Member

State:
    So. IL
    Welcome to the BOC John!! I have found that the Dams are best during the pre-spawn period. Cats head upstream to spawn. When they get to the dam, they can't go any further and usually congregate there. However, you can catch them year round. Look for the baitfish and you will usually find the cats. Hope this helps.

3. foxracer1803

foxracer1803 New Member

State:
    indiana
    thanks for the reply, down about 1/2 mile from the dam is were we are catching all our bait at , but all i catch fish wise has been some walleye, smallmouth,striped bass and carp, so i was thinking it might be deeper by the dam and maybe id catch some therei think the big problem might be cover, cause were we are fishing now all ive found is one tree down in the water and another one that kinda splits the flow into 2

4. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    If you are wanting to fish closer to the dam.. i would recomend changing your bait to live gills and live shad if you can get some....

5. foxracer1803

foxracer1803 New Member

State:
    indiana
    thanks white river, ill try the blue gills, ive been using 3 poles latly, one which allways has a live shad on it, and every once in a while it gets a small lil hit, not enough to make me get excited though, is there any other advice like should i be right up by the dam or down a lil from it or anything

6. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    im with scott, you better find another spot till spring. if you get some rain over there, the bridge over the big monon ditch(w shafer drive) and the hoagland bay bridge(cr 400 east) should be good. the live shad should do you fine as bait. when those creeks are flowing into the reservoir the fishing can be great! ever try the old dam up river from 24 bridge? i have had some good days there. the fish will be stacking up in deep wintering holes soon, if you know where they are you can catchum all winter long.

tim

7. IndyCatGuy

IndyCatGuy New Member

State:
    Greensburg, IN
    Live shad are illegal to use except at Brookville...but it is rarely checked...thank God!! lol

8. foxracer1803

foxracer1803 New Member

State:
    indiana
    thanks river, do you think those spots should be good this weekend, we got some rain today actually so maybe i should try both of them this weekend??? anything in particular to look for??

9. whiteriverbigcats

State:
    Indiana
    Didnt you know.. Im the only one in Indiana thats allowed.. :smile2::smile2:

10. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    It's a shame more didn't come up along the bank to use. Even worse that the ones you did get all got nice triangular chunks taken out of them. :wink:

11. whiteriverbigcats

State:
    Indiana
    Did I tell you how much I hate turtles.. LOL:smile2:

12. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    My wife & I have a suff cat that tags along with me when I go fishing.
    While Bluesey & I were at Monroe with some of the boc from Indy, the CO
    didn't check my buddy for his license:smile2: Check out my photo album.:wink: