Need help finding lure for 74 yr old Dad

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by special liberty, Jan 7, 2007.

1. special liberty

special liberty New Member

State:
    Maryland
    I don't get a chance to see my Dad to often. He lives back home in Illinois and I'm in the Navy in Maryland. This weekend I saw him and he mentioned that he lost his favorite lure and can't find another like it. I have pored over Cabelas and Bass Pro Shop catalogs and cannot find what he is looking for. It's a bass/walleye plug with a propeller on the front only. I found several that have propellers on both ends and on the tail end only but not one that has one just on the front. His Birthday was this week and I would love to find a replacement lure as a gift. If anybody out there knows where I can get one or direct me to a manufacture I would be very grateful. I would even pay to have one custom made if I have to.

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    It would realy help if you had the name of the lure.

3. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    just a wild guess, but sounds like a torpedo or tiny torpedo. lures with props at both ends i think are called zara spooks.

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Id love to help but the description doesnt sound like any lures that Ive seen in my lifetime torpedos have props on the tail

5. Cattledogz

Cattledogz New Member

State:
    NC
    Tawn, you are sure the prop was on the front end?
    Growing up in MI I fished with my dad all the time and we used to use the Heddon Torpedo and Tiny Torpedo lures but they have the prop at the rear not the front.

Slimepig was nearly correct in saying the zara spook has one at both ends - its actually the wounded zara spook that does if I remember correctly.

Wish I could be of more help :sad2:

6. luke1wcu

luke1wcu New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I could be wrong but it may be the Boy Howdy, made by Cotton Cordell. Not sure if the prop is on just the front or both the front and back. He could also remove the prop from the back, if it does have it on both ends. I believe they are no longer made but I recently purchased a few from eBay. You might want to give that a try. Good luck, there is nothing better than a favorite lure.

7. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
  8. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    i found this... has 1 prop in the front.. and from the looks of the price, and pic,... looks like a fish catching lure

9. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    did some googling for ya n found that you're probably lookin for an antique lure not made anymore.here is one i found made by the eureka bait company : http://www.mrlurebox.com/Coldwater.htm . also maybe you can email the guy on that page n he can help ya more.

10. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I think it was made by shakespeare. I will see if I can find the name and a pic of the one I am thinking of.

11. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

12. special liberty

State:
    Maryland
    Thanks for all the replies. I have no idea what the name or model of the lure is.

13. special liberty

State:
    Maryland
    More info - purchased at Wal Mart within past few years. 2 1/2 - 3 inches in length. Again, I appreciate everyones help and it's very important to me to find this lure for him. If anyone knows of a custom lure maker, please PM me the contact info.

Thanks again, Tawn

14. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I know that you'd rather find the exact model, but if you have one made, it's not going to be an exact copy, so here's a suggestion. Find a 2-bladed lure that otherwise closely matches the lost lure, then remove the back propeller.

15. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    If it was purchased at Wal-Mart within the last few years then chances are they or someone else will still have them!!! Not much information to go on!!