need help finding flathead spots

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by drewscot, Aug 20, 2009.

1. drewscot

drewscot New Member

State:
    Manhattan, KS
    Hey guys just joined tonight after finding this place after looking long and hard for a forums with kansas guys. I have just moved down to Manhattan for college and I am having a hard time locating the fish. I would really like to start flathead fishing but just dont know where to go. I have tried rocky ford, the river pond at tuttle, and the blue river. If any of you guys have any advice where to start looking it would be greatly appreciated.

2. KAW RIVER KILLER

KAW RIVER KILLER New Member

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    Welcome to the BOC Drew! You might try the Kaw or Smokey Hill.

3. drewscot

drewscot New Member

State:
    Manhattan, KS
    where is smoky hill at. I have never heard of it.

4. kingkat82

kingkat82 New Member

State:
    Central KS
    The Smokey Hill(feeds Kanopolis lake) and the Republican(feeds Milford lake) rivers form the Kansas/Kaw river. The Solomon river is a tributary of the Smokey and is also noteworthy. You'll have to do some research for ways to hit 'em. Can't really help you there. IE For the Smokey, you might look into the cities along it such as Junction City, Chapman, Enterprise for public access points for starters. Kind of a bummer to hear you haven't had much luck on the Blue or at Rocky Ford! Hopefully we fair better, will let ya know. Good fishing,
    -J

Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  5. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    The places that you named are great places to pull some big flats from.

One thing you have to remember is its not Bass fishing you are not going to go out and catch them everytime you go out. If it were that easy all the Bass Fisherman would see the light and start catching real fish.:big_smile::smile2::big_smile::smile2:

You may put in several days of fishing and get only a few bites if that, but once you figure out a pattern things can get easier. Just dont give up fishing for flatheads is a different beast all togather. The best thing I can tell you is to scout locations, watch bait movement, and don't give up.

6. russ4429

russ4429 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Drew - I was stationed at Fort Riley from 1999-2003. I used to catch a lot of flatheads downriver from Rocky Ford. Good spots are both 1/2 mile either side of the bridge downstream from Rocky Ford. Most flats were between 10-30 pounds. Easiest way to do it was to park at Rocky Ford, get your bait there (shad), and walk downriver to the first bend...lots of brush there (at least there was several years ago). Hope this helps.

7. Gamblen

Gamblen New Member

State:
    Kansas City, KS
    Welcome to the BOC/SOC Drew and Jakey.
    I'm from up around Kansas City, but there alot of people around your area that will help.

You might be a catfisherman if you have more bait and fish in your freezer than food.

8. drewscot

drewscot New Member

State:
    Manhattan, KS
    hey man thanks for the tip I will have to check it out when i go out to rocky ford next time. I was thinking about going out probably sometime in the next few days.

9. Dead Red Rick

Dead Red Rick New Member

State:
    Kansas