Need help finding bigger fish around Wichita, Kansas

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by gbennett21, May 31, 2007.

1. gbennett21

gbennett21 New Member

State:
    kansas
    hay guys this site is so cool im here in wichita,ks and having the hard time finding good places to fish im new to this site ,check it every day for tips,news and pic. any were not to far from here would be nice im also trying to find a place with some big flatheads to take pic. tips ,what should i use for bigger channel,flathead.weres the big fish at

2. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Welcome to the BOC, Greg...I don't know squat about Kansas fishin' but I'm sure someone will be along shortly that can help you out...:big_smile:

Ol' Man

~~~~~~~~~~
    When you remove the people's right to bear arms, you create slaves.

3. THRowSOmeStink

THRowSOmeStink New Member

State:
    sedgwick, kansas
    Cheney has some nice channels and flats to but it is not known for its flats. All around the lake just move untill you find them. WEnzel cove is pretty good for channels. If you want flats eldorado isnt bad but toronto is really good only been there once but we caught some nice fish. MY pb was caught in toronto 25# flat. Eldorado has some nice channels also. Cheney is easier to fish if you dont have a boat then eldorado and they are about the same in distance from wichita. Hope this helps

4. Muddy96

Muddy96 New Member

State:
    Winfield, Ks
    I have found good flatheads in the Arkansas and Walnut rivers here in Cowley County. Amazingly enough, we catch them with earth worms. Good Luck

5. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC from Missouri Greg.

6. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    I'm from Wichita... and in my opinion its kind of limited when it comes to real big fish. Although I've never tried the Walnut or Arkansas. But it seems like they are limited as to where you can fish them (seems like they run through alot of private land). I guess theres a boat ramp down in Ark. City for the Arkansas river, not sure there is one for the Walnut. If you are looking for some eaters there are a few city lakes I like to go to and will generally catch my limit on worms or liver... and they just stocked them last Friday.

7. rickr

rickr New Member

State:
    Schertz Texas
    Grew up in Arkansas City...got drafted in 66 and only get back to visit. There is a boat ramp on the Walnut River in the public park East of Ark City on Hwy 166....right outside of town. Didn't know about a ramp on the Arkansas River but there are lots of public access areas on the Kaw Wildlife area East of town. Also, Winfield City Lake is known for some good cat fishing at times. Best of luck.

Rick

8. gbennett21

gbennett21 New Member

State:
    kansas
    im going to cheney tonight what should i use out there?

9. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Greg, all the information you can get from others always helps. But the BEST way to find out where to fish is to get out on the water as much as you can. You did'nt mention if you fish shore or boat, I do both. I do just as good shore fishing as boat fishing. You just have to invest your time, see where you do good, and where you don't. You just have to build your own base of successful fishing spots.

10. gbennett21

gbennett21 New Member

State:
    kansas
    hay guys i went to cheny last weekend with no luck had everything from gold fish,shad gizzards,shad sides , sonnys,beef smelt.not even one bite fished all night saturday some were on the westside of the redbluffs area.Im new to that lake,i only fish off the shore(dont have a boat) was trying to find the feeders but couldnt. anybody know some good areas on that lake (not your honey holes but just good areas.

11. catman73

catman73 New Member

State:
    Lawrence Kansas
    If you go to Winfield you can fish the Walnut at Pecan grove, or there is a boat ramp and a few on shore areas at the Fairgrounds. There is also Tunnel Mill Dam which I got my pb in 30# flat on worms. Then there is a bridge on the south end of town and you can get to the water there also. All produce decent fish. Good luck

12. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Catman, thanks for that post... I wasn't aware that there were that many places in Winfield. Its still a pretty good drive from north Wichita, but I'll definately try them out some time this summer. How deep is the water usually? Is it pretty easy to get around in a jon boat there? How about boat traffic, are there usually alot of people who use the ramp/ river? I kind of like remote places where I don't have to run into alot of people. Not to mention I'll probably be buying a small boat pretty soon and being a newbie at boating, the last thing I want to do is get on a small river with alot of other people and get crouded/ croud some other guy or break some boating code of ethics or something to get someone upset at me.

13. Muddy96

Muddy96 New Member

State:
    Winfield, Ks
    Steve,

I took my 10 foot flatbottom out on the Walnut last weekend. I put in at the boat ramp at the fairgrounds. I only saw a one other boat on the water. Be prepared to carry your boat a few feet because when the river comes up the ramp gets covered in about 10 inches of mud. I saw a couple guys put a 14 foot V bottom in there the same day. By far the best bank fishing is tunnel mill dam. If the bite is on, there will be amny large cats caught in a short amount of time. The problem is that it can get packed with people real quick. I plan to set some lines out again this weekend and hopfully catch a few on rod. Last weekend I caught 8 fish all weighing around 5 pounds. If you have any questions give me a PM.

Jerry

14. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Hey thanks Jerry. I still haven't gotten my boat yet, plan on ordering one this weekend. But the ramp being muddy wont be an issue for me since I'm starting out small with a 1436 riveted jon.... so I'll be able to carry it anywhere. It will only be around 135 lbs. Anyway I enjoy setting lines every now and then myself. I will be down there for sure this summer sometime, maybe we'll see each other. Right now though, on the weekends I'm workin on scouting out good areas in the El Dorado Lake area so It may be a few weekends before I'm able to make my way down there.

15. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    i have seen some big flatties pulled out of the arkansas down by wichita using live bluegill and goldfish

16. catman73

catman73 New Member

State:
    Lawrence Kansas
    Another place that you might try is Wellington Lake. Its west of Wellington on 160. They have a couple feeders there and a friend of mine and I have had good luck there. We have had better luck at the feeder that you come to first. There is another one back in the corner of the lake that is decent but we just didnt have as much luck there as the other one. We were using a dough bait that my buddy made for us. Mainly catching large carp, but when we rolled the dough in a stink bait of about any kind we got in good with the cats. Lots of good eater size fish, the biggest we ever caught there was about 10 pounds.

17. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Channelkatman, where have you seen this in Wichita? I am sure on the Ark. river, but what part?

18. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    If you can stand a crowd, the Lincoln Street Bridge is the place to be in Wichita. There are several BIG flats pulled from there on a daily basis, especially when the river is up like it has been.

Cheney has some very nice channel cat fishing. Fish the upper end where the river comes in, and off of the points (Heimerman, (my favorite) Wichita, and M&M. The feeders are also great places, but again, unless you have a boat, you are dealing with crowds again, and I can't stand to fish that way.