Need help finding big flathead catfish

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA RIVERS TALK' started by ScottH, May 26, 2009.

1. ScottH

ScottH New Member

State:
    PA
    I live around the York County area and I am looking for superb fishing spots to find big flathead cats.

So far I tried down around the Susquehanna river along Gut Road and Saginaw Road. As a early teenager my father used to take me up to "Warm-Waters" but I heard they fenced that area and you can no longer get back there to fish? So I am baffled on where to find the big ones.... Help!?!

Also, can I buy live bait locally (Blue Gills, Minnows, Etc..etc..)?

2. xnmcclurex

xnmcclurex Active Member

State:
    Pittsburgh Pa
    i cant help you with the area your in but catch your own bait, wild bait outfishes bait that was bought, they know what to get away from and struggle even more when something big swims by...

3. mattr

mattr New Member

State:
    PA
    Look for cover, river bends, deep pools, undercuts, rocks, piers etc etc etc

use big live bait and put your time in and the rest will come... I'm not familiar with the susq in york county, but the same formula for finding flatheads is pretty much universal whatever river you are fishing in.

4. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    If you are bank fishing for flatheads in the Susky, then you are most likely wasting your time! To fish that big river, you need a boat! The Susky is fairly shallow river and you need a boat to find the deeper holes.

Be careful, that river is loaded with a crapload of protruding rocks. Having a outboard engine is not suggested.

Like most applications of fishing, put your lime in and learn the water. Then it gets allitle easier!:wink:

5. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

6. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i could also use some new great spots :wink:
    welcome to the site

7. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    :smile2:Same here Lenny!!!:smile2::smile2: With maybe 4-5 40 pounders 8-10 30 pounders that should do:smile2:

8. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    There are plenty of good bank spots in that area. You just have to be willing to walk a little and find them.

9. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Did you mean, like put the lime in the corona while your fishing? or did you mean to say put your time in! :wink:

10. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    I'm sure I'll get out with Lenny somewhere or another I really don't care where I just enjoy bein on the water catchin fish is just a bonus:cool2:

11. great pappy cat

great pappy cat Active Member

State:
    P.A
    Would you like some GPS coordinates:roll_eyes:

There is a possibility to catch a nice flatty on that entire stretch:wink:

You cant buy the indiginous ( spelling?) baits you should be fishing with. Catching and careing for bait is the hardest part.

12. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

HEY! CUT ME IN ON SOME OF THOSE HONEY HOLES TOO!:big_smile::tounge_out::smile2:Seriously though,catch yourself some local bait,it,ll save you some $ and you know it aint half dead from sitting in some bait shops tank.

13. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA

14. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    It's not like pulling a lure out of a box and you start fishing.

On somedays, you'll even have to spend 2 to 3 hours baitfishing. That's just getting bait:eek:oooh:!

But like most flathead fisherman can understand, you'll have plenty of time to chill waiting for the bite.:cool2:

15. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    yea a good bait tank was the best thing i made, and when ya go thru 20-30 sunnies in a nite that really adds up

16. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Sorry Scott, looks like one post won't get you all those honey holes you seek lol. Most of these guys come by their fish the HARD way. Time catching bait, time on the water, trial and error. But I guarentee if you ask them what they do and how they fish, what kinds of water they are catching fish in they'd bend over backwards to get you started on your personal journey.

It ain't no fun to go to the zoo and shoot elephants. You'll get more enjoyment out of flathead fishing if you find them on your own. With a little help from your brothers. Keep asking questions, and keep fishing.

17. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    structure,structure,structure. find it and fish it. if there is a flat nearby or deeper water nearby the better.

18. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    im a rookie flat hunter, but with a half a dozen trips under my belt and one monster and a few blunders with big fish, big lively bait is key!! many times especially this time of year the big flats are crusing shallow water, 10 15 feet of water, i have been using baits in the 10-14 inch range and having fish taking them every night, now hooking and landing a monster is anouther story.

19. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    I'm new myself I got lucky and landed a 27.4pound flat my 3rd time out,the advice I have to offer is use nice lively bait near structure and put in your time and sooner or later if flats are in the waters you are fishing one will grab a hold of your bait and then its time to hold on!!!!!:wink:

20. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    By the way thanks for all the help with my tank Lenny,I spent 2 1/2 hours bait catching today myself I have 30+ baits in my tank right now!:cool2: