Need help finding a large landing net

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by SGTREDNECK, Jun 28, 2009.

1. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    What are you all using for a landing net? I plan on catching cats around 50 lbs. But then again don't we all. I want a net big enough so if I do catch that cat of our dreams he fits in and I can land it safely and let him go. Where can i buy one. Ebay doesnt have any that i would consider quality. Thanks for the help. SGT Shorey out.

2. CatBassin'

CatBassin' Well-Known Member

State:
    Harmony, NC
    Name:
    Garrett
    My new net, last one was only big enough for bass and small cats, is a Frabill with the sliding handle. It's a pretty decent size and since the handle slides over the hoop it takes up a lot less room. I bought mine at Gander Mountain but believe I saw the same one at The Walsmart for $20, about $5 less than I paid for mine.

3. bsites9

bsites9 New Member

State:
    Va
    you can get a basic net at Kmart. Our walmart doesn't carry any fishing nets at all if you can believe that

4. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    Stock varies by store for both Walmart and Kmart. The two Walmarts I frequent near where I work have vastly different fishing supplies, and what they have is tons better than the Kmarts around here. The Kmarts might as well not have anything for fishing.

5. brownie525

brownie525 New Member

State:
    Nj
    the walmart around here has some nice ones. i pick net up at yardsales all the time for a buck or two (ya im cheap lol)

6. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    wally world me does not carry big enough nets for big cats depends how much you want to spend i would try dicks sporting goods gander mtn or even local bait shop i bought my for $25.00 at baitshop

7. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    EGO fishing gear has some dandy's ...... There quality too...

8. RonSki

RonSki New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Andrew, if you REALLY want a quality net, get a Beckman Magnum Fin Saver. It has knotless, treated mesh and a flat bottom. I fish for muskies alot so I just use this net for flats too. It's expensive, but I believe it will outlast every other piece of fishing gear I own. You would probably have to order it unless you have a bait shop in your area that sells musky gear.
    Here's where I got mine from--- http://www.muskyshop.com/modules/cart/products.php/nav_id/19/page/1/id/129/name/BeckmanNets

Some of the Frabill nets are good to but from the musky guys I know who have had both, they all prefer the Beckman.

Another one I've had interest in is from Catfish Connection called "The Beast" (model# BST 4) I don't think I would hesitate to try this one out. It's half the price of the Beckman and still has the knotless, coated mesh with the flat bottom. You'd have to order this one too, but I'm guessing if you could find a suitable one locally then you wouldn't need to ask :wink:
    One thing I just thought of though. In musky fishing, standard practice is to leave the fish in the net, in the water. I'm not sure how tough they would be if you're going to lift 50 pounders into the boat by the handle. The mesh is certainly tough enough though, but there might be a difference in build strength as far as the hoop. Can't say for sure until I've used it. I've had flats up to 40 pounds in my Beckman, and I'm sure 80 pounders would fit easily, and I DID lift that 40 into the boat by grabbing the mesh. I think either net would be a good choice for a quality net.
    Here's what a 40 looks like in the Beckman... :big_smile:

Attached Files:

9. kvillcat

kvillcat New Member

State:
    Kernersville, Nc
    I got my net at walmart and it landed the 44lb one thats my avitar. You could always just lip him:wink:

John