need help drifting

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by nanny patrol, May 31, 2008.

1. nanny patrol

nanny patrol Member

State:
    SC
    Im pretty new to catfishing and need some help. Its obvious from reading old threads that I need to learn to drift. Ive searched threads and been to the library and I think I have basic concept down but Im still a little confused on the rigging. I understand the float concept and choosing the amount of weight to use. What Im not sure on is whats best, 3 way rig or carolina rig? Also leader length? I know this may all be personal preferance but thats why Im asking. I'd appreciate any advise!! Oh yeah, my home lake is Hartwell so any local advise would be very, very welcomed. Thanks a lot, Mike.

2. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    mike I prefer a carolina rig with a 2 to 4 ft leader.

3. mudflat08

mudflat08 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    I prefer a carolina rig to, with a leader about 3 to 4 ft long and i put the float about 6 inches above my hook, good luck

4. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    Carolina Rig,Slinky weight,snap swivel with a 3' Leader,2in float up 8-10in from hook.I usually will use 6/0 Hooks.

5. bearfrog1

bearfrog1 New Member

State:
    Mount Pleasant,
    I use Martygreen's method. Just be sure to go get 2 driftsocks (sea-anchors). This will help your boat track straight. It takes some adjusting but usually 1 sock is up front and one is about 2/3rds back. Try to balance your boat's weight too. That is tough for me as my motor weighs alot. My socks usually are 1 at front left and 1 is just past middle left. Fish all your rods off the left side. I have a 25 ft pontoon with 115honda 4 stroke just for reference. My socks are 5ft diameter too each.
    Hope this helps,
    Jonathan

6. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I just wanna warn ya about Hartwell and drift socks.....be careful. If you plan to drift I assume you are going for channels or blues and that means 30' or less water for the most part . I'm not sure where your hunting grounds are but around me there is a lot of standing timber so watch your sock for hang-ups. Know your drifting waters before hand.

Now , I know what peeps are thinking.....

If your drifting bottom your looking for clear areas anyway, that's true, but me....I drag everywhere. Yea I break off at times but I fish heavy line and pull up trees if that's what it takes ; ) I just don't ever limit myself where to fish. If its hard to fish in you can almost bet the fish are in there and so am I.

We do fine using a co-pilot on the bow with the wind in our face....no sock. Socks are a great thing but I wouldn't say its for every lake. Another reason we don't use them is because we also Striper fish at the same time. The free lines would get hung up in the sock and if a 8' hybrid hit my line its gonna head for that sock, LOL.

All the advice below is great. I just wanted to give you my best advice for Hartwell.

BTW.. I'm usually out there a few times a week, its my home lake also...see ya on the water.

Pm me if you ever need anything....G'luck

-Jim-

7. nanny patrol

nanny patrol Member

State:
    SC
    Thanks a lot guys. I appreciate you taking time to help. There's a fine bunch of people on here.

8. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Some of the best advice I can give you is to not overthink your drift rigs.Alot of people use different leader lengths, weights, corks and hooks.Some add special little gadgets to try to help entice a strike.Theres so many different variations that it can make you want to pull your hair out sometimes.

It all basically boils down to...... you are moving your bait along the bottom to aggressive fish.The basic rig is the Santee Style drift rig like everybody here is talking about.As simple as it is, it can even be overthought alot.The thing that drives me crazy the most is leader length.

Theres certain days when a longer leader might catch more fish or a shorter leader might catch more.This can get overwelming trying to figure it out.I've been putting simplness back into my fishing methods and its been alot less stressful.I've found that a 3 foot leader is a good all around (happy medium) length.With the cork about 6 to 8 inches above the hook.Just keep in mind that the farther away the cork is from the hook the more likely you are to get hung.I could go into so much detail about it that it would make your head spin at least it does mine.

To much detail just complicates things and thats not what you want especially just startin out.

Just try to keep your speed down to less than 0.7 mph on GPS or slow enough to where your rods are not jerking violently if you dont have GPS.Get out and get the feel for it and then you can start to fine detail it.Just try to keep it simple.

9. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    The rig argument may never be settled. I don't think it matters "that" much. I prefer the 3-way rig for drifting. This is due to bait movement and snagging. The 3-way rig allows me to only loose a sinker while the carolina will typically lose the entire rig. When I anchor in, its the carolina all the way.

10. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    I like a 5ft leader 3in float 1/2-1/4 leader from hook 80lb mono leader 8/0-12/0 circle hook, pencil or snake sinker 1oz-13/4oz on a sinker slide with bead and big off shore swivel 40lb main line 75-100 yards of line out. Also run slip float and planner boards. But as Chris Blue said there is enough ways to drive a man to drink!

11. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    If you don't have a GPS , like us, a good way to tell drift speed is to hook up a 1.5oz egg sinker on a rod and drop it straight down. Just watch the angle of the line to determine speed. Example...a 45 degree angle means get your water ski's out,,,your going way to fast. Straight down line...you aint moving, LOL.

Its not perfect but its better than guessing and it works for us. The rest of my rig is the exact same as the Greenwood boys...cause their the ones that taught me ; )

-Jim-