need help choosing right fishing line

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by superman, May 26, 2009.

1. superman

superman New Member

State:
    DeSoto MO
    let me start off by saying that i have read several other threads and would like to try and get more specific help in choosing a line that fits my needs. okay with that said i only use abu baitcasters i have three 6000 two 7000 and 4 10000 reels all on eight foot ugly stick tiger rods. alright that is my gear so now i fish the mississippi river 90 percent of the time so i like to use thirty to sixty pound line with good abbrasive resistance on my different poles so thats my gear and place i fish so now on to lines i have used i have used big game and cajun line and do not like either one i have used berkley iron silk for a few years and loved it but my last spool i stockpiled when i found out they quit making it is now gone so i think my question is what lines beside big game and cajun do you all recomend as those seem to be the most popular and two lines i do not like

2. thecatman

thecatman New Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    well i personally prefer braided lines however if you arent ready for braid and dont understand how the braided lines work you will lose more fish than you catch with that being said as far as mono goes i think that the cabelas salt striker line is rather good and a very strong durable line that i would put a big fish on and trust it to hold up to the test hope this helps ya

3. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    If you like mono , big game is hard to beat. I cant understand why you wouldnt like it. If you choose braid, power pro or suffix is good.

4. superman

superman New Member

State:
    DeSoto MO
    okay the reason i dont like big game is because i used it for four or five trips and it got so nicked up that i was cutting off several feet of line with every cast it just got to be a pain in the but to rigg my pole every time i casted out and i have not personally used braided in years because a good buddy of mine showed me his loomis rod and it had grooves cut into the eyes from the braided lines of course this was years ago and braided line has possibly came a long way from the first generation stuff but that image is in the back of my head

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Give Suffix a try. I like it in tangerine. I also like the two lines that you stated you didn't like. Suffix has low memory, good abrasion resistance, and strong.

6. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    i hear alot of good things about Ande line i think it is,im thinking about trying some myself.

7. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I use Hi-Seas Quattro Camo Mono line, in 30#, on Abu Garcia 6500 and 7000's and it's very abrasion resistant.
    I also use Berkeley Big game in 50 # on Abu Garcia 7000's ,, I really like it also. A Lot!
    Both of them get scuffed up,, but, I don't find a lot of Nicks.. I fish in very rocky, nasty structure, water..qite often. I don't get broken off, or lose fish to line issues..
    I'd use either of them in whatever # I needed, and don't worry about it..
    Just my .02
    I like the idea of braid,and, have tried it on the same reels, but, everytime I get it run over a rock or something in the water,, It's history,, But, it's some real strong , smooth, nice stuff, Very enjoyable to use while casting, and such.

8. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    BRAID HAS COME ALONG WAY IN THE LAST COUPLE OF YEARS AND A GOOD SPOOL OF POWER PRO IS HARD TO BEAT.BERKLEYS BIG CAME IS A GOOD MONO FOR ME.THE CAJUN RED LINE IS NIT BAD EITHER.

9. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i dont see why you dislike cajun, thats my choice for mono, but if you want the best, power pro braid, 50 pound, and suffi gets alot of good revews but, if monos what you want i say cajun 30 lbs test

10. RPnKC

RPnKC New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Your friend guides were marked because of the guides, braid hasn't changed in that regard.
    If you don't like the abrasion resistance of Berkley BigGame, I would strongly suggest against Stren Original Hi-Vis Gold. I am a big fan of P-Line CXX XtraStrong Fluorescent Green, but cannot comment either way on abrasion resistance, it casts beautifully.

11. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    try 100%flourocarbon line it has little to no stretch and unmatched abrasion resistance. it is pricey though.

12. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I can relate I hate Cajun as well. I have started using Sufix Elite and Siege a couple years ago bass fishing and now I have stuck it on all my fishing rods. Well all except the ones I fish the river with they have sufix braid on them.

13. brownie525

brownie525 New Member

State:
    Nj
    i use ande monster yellow and love it. when it comes to mono its got to be ande. i use big game as well and like that also guess its just personal preference:big_smile:

14. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    myself i use strean salt water in hi vis yellow.good line uv resistant and holds up to oyster shells in the ocean fairly well.

15. superman

superman New Member

State:
    DeSoto MO
    Thanks for the help guys just to let you know i had the wife order some ande line from bass pro last night and she asked me what color i wanted and i said i don't care so she giggled a little bit and ordered it well this morning she asked if i wanted to know what color she got me so i said sure tell me after she giggled for a few mins. she said i got you pink line and the only thing that ran threw my mind was all the hell im gonna get from my buddies over having pink line on two of my poles any way thanks again and im also gonna give suffix a try

16. ncriverrat

ncriverrat New Member

State:
    Trinity, NC
    p-line is sum of the toughest line i have ever used, its a copolomar line tough as nails extremely abrasion resistant. its a little exp but one u might want 2 try.i use it bass fishing heavy cover, so sure it would work great 4 cats 2. pline cxx good luck

17. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    big game mono 30# not a braid guy so do not how that works

18. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    cajumesn 30, mono or 50 to 80 powerpro braid, , biggame is very stong but cant take abrasion good, cajun not qwite as strong but very abrasion resistent, thinner diamater uv resistent, not to srtechey, your call , i listend to catfish john