Need help choosing one of these finders!!

Discussion in 'Fish Finder Review and Study' started by rspd507, Nov 16, 2007.

1. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    Ok Guys,
    Winthin the next few months im going to be purchasing a new fish finder. The one I have was a Eagle Fish easy 2. I never had much success using it and didnt like it due to not reading the bottom structure like I would like to see it. Im gonna be able to spend about $500.00 dollars and have narrowed my search down to these two models. First is the Lowrance x135 Power Pro sonar which has high peak power (4000)($399.00) but is black and white background. The second unit is the Lowrance x510 Color Sonar. This unit has less peak power (2400)($499.99) but has the color screen. Both of these are available at Bass Pro Shop and can be viewed on there website.

Now what id like some of you experts to do is please take a look at these units and compare them and let me know what you think of them and how they would work. What I am really looking for here is a unit that shows the bottom structure, making it more easy for me to determine what type of bottom im looking at and of course the best of the two for locating fish, preferably catfish. I realize it will take some getting used to with any unit to get familiar with how it reads but also im sure some types of units are easier to use than others.

Both the units ive mentioned has the same pixels 480x480 but the one has alot higher peak to peak power. Im not exactly sure what the difference is, so if one of you experts could explain this to a dumb cop, id sure appreciate it.

Thanks alot guys for taking the time to read my long winded post and ill sure appreciate any and all replies. Thanks, rspd507

2. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio

3. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    Come on guys, some more input here would be very helpful in making up my mind. rspd507

4. dankitch

dankitch New Member

State:
    Henderson,
    Ross, you definatly want more power. You will get better bottom definition with more power. The 135 is a good unit, but like you said it's not color. I recently purchased a color unit and as far as I am concered I will never buy anything that's not color again. I bought a Lowrance 525c DF. It has 4000 watts peak to peak. And it came with a GPS. It was $599.00 (I believe)

5. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Ross, I just got the X135 and at 4000 watts the bottom definition is much better than my old depth finder which only had 3200 watts. While I would have preferred color, I only had a black & white budget.

6. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i just got the lowrance 17m. I love it only had to pay $500 for the unit. Had to pay another $200 for the GPS antenna and $50 for the 2006 Navonics.
    I like the set up, i do wish it was color but i think i can manage without that.

7. Mark R.

Mark R. New Member

State:
    Rush Springs, OK
    I had to make that tough decision my self last year, I purchased a X102C, if memory serves me right the X510replaced the X102C - the only difference being the connectors on the back.
    It has served me well and I am still learning.
    The product emulator really helps a person learn how to run the unit.
    www.lowrance.com/Downloads/Product-Emulators/

8. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Spend just a "TAD" more:smile2::eek:oooh: and go for the 525 color with GPS. After all what's another 200-250.00:smile2: and you can mark spots and tell where you are even when your lost...

9. bw19

bw19 New Member

State:
    Texas
    rspd507, I sent you a PM.