Need help catfishing the Susquehanna River

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA RIVERS TALK' started by mike_4843, Jan 22, 2007.

1. mike_4843

mike_4843 Member

State:
    Shippensburg PA
    I live 30 Minutes away form Harrisburg. I was woundering if any one has any ideas were I should go catfishing in the Susquehanna River or any other streams or rivers close by. Does any one know any lakes that got cats in near by. By the way I dont have a boat so I would need places to bank fish.

2. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Mike - Welcome to the B.O.C.!:0a25: There are numerous posts about the Susquehanna River on here. Dig in and enjoy. We have several members from out that way who I'm sure will chime in to help you out.

3. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Isn't Brunner's Island around Harrisburg??? There is a warm water discharge there and catfish bite there all through the winter, flatheads, but mostly channels.

4. mike_4843

mike_4843 Member

State:
    Shippensburg PA
    I know of a power plant up there that discharges warm water back in to the river. I think it is ppl but what is good bait for channels and flatheads. I never caught or seen a flathead in person. I always used livers but have a heck of time keeping them on the hook.

5. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    The guys who are catching Channels this time of year are using cut bait. The Flatheads are done till spring when the water warms up. Once the warm weather and water arrives try large live bait such as Bluegill, Suckers, Chubs, etc. Spend some time this winter reading up on Flatheads on the numerous sections of this site and you will have an idea what you need to do come springtime!:big_smile:

6. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P

The warm water there keeps the flatheads active. I know of one person catching a 35 inch flathead on a rattletrap in December and a fellow this month reported a 22lb flathead on doughbait while fishing for carp.

For catfish down there this time of year, use the gizzard shad. They are so abundant down there in the warm water.

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Mike Welcome to the BOC.Stick around and you will get the answers you are asking. Proud to have you on board.:0a25: :0a23:

8. mike_4843

mike_4843 Member

State:
    Shippensburg PA
    Where do you get gizzard shad at?

9. tbartek

tbartek New Member Supporting Member

State:
    New Germany, PA
    Mike welcome to the BOC :0a25: I used to fish the susky just north of Harrisburg at a fish commision access area. There used to be a bar right there called the Friendly Tavern. Of course that was a lot of years ago and I don't know if its still there. I'm sure the access area is though. And cut bait seems to work with the channels this time of year. Good luck!

10. dmat

dmat New Member

State:
    bfe
    Mike, I moved to Hbg from further north about 5 years ago. Like you, I don't have a boat either:( Usually from March to the beginning of May I fish the warmwater discharge at Brunner Island. From May until mid July or so I fish below the fabri dam at Sunbury...however, be warned that if you fish there (and put your bait in the spots where the fish are) you'll go through a ton of lead. The bottom is fractured rock with rip rap along shore. Then, from late September to November I'm back at Brunner Island. A lot of people fish off the walkway at the York Haven hydro dam, but I can't fish comfortably when I'm 15 feet above the water! You can also wade in the Dauphin narrows, or pull off 11/15 and try hitting the shore at the PFBC launch areas.

Cut bait is pretty much all I use. Sunfish, sucker, chubs, and fallfish all work well. Most of the "Ho Buts"...as in, "Ho But, what they bitin' on?" use minnows or shiners, but cut bait is much easier and cheaper! I've rarely ever had any luck on carp, but then again the PFBC recently made it illegal to use carp anyway. There are gizzard shad in the Susky, but good luck trying to catch them...the PFBC also says you can't use a cast net. Maybe a sabiki rig would work?

The Susky is tough to find good places to fish from shore. Most of the river is anywhere from 0.5 to 1 mile wide, but is no more than about 5 or 6 feet deep under normal flow. Anything 200 yards out from shore is usually shallow muck, and you'll sit there all night without a bite. Believe me, I'm dreaming of the day I can afford a good river boat!!!

Hope this helps you out!

11. ibohunter

ibohunter New Member

State:
    southeast, pa
    hi DMAT:

welcome to BOC

would love to fish brunner island but don't know where to go, any help? i live near reading, pa

12. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
  13. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    If you ever feel like going for a little drive try out Rose Valley Lake, or perhaps, Blanchard Dam in Lycoming and clinton Counties. While they don't have those monster flatheads in there, but they do hold a mass of huge channel cats and bullheads. I live near (actually almost on) the Pine Creek Dam. They've been screwing with the fauna in this lake from pike and bass (the normal stuff) to almost exclusivly trout! don't know why, but I'm guessing that it has to do with the tourist fishing.
    P.S.
    the pike are still there though, and getting monsterous! LOL:big_smile:

14. dmat

dmat New Member

State:
    bfe

Mike, come to think of it, sabiki rigs won't work for gizzard shad. They eat muck and filter out the plankton. I should've thought of that when I replied the first time, but I guess the cold weather we've been having lately has frozen my brain! Hickory and American shad, and blueback herring are all protected in the river...so that option is out. Perhaps a sabiki rig would work for catching some of the larger shiners or fallfish? I don't know, but I'm planning on trying it out this year. Catching them one at a time on rod&reel can be time consuming!

15. dmat

dmat New Member

State:
    bfe
    Thanks for the welcome, Jim!

Coming from Reading, your best bet would be to make your onto I83 south...most likely via the turnpike.

Take the ramp for route 382. Make a left at light (east) and stay on 382 all the way to the stop sign in York Haven (about 5 miles).

Go straight at this stop sign, then go down the hill (right-hand dogleg).

Go straight through the intersection at the bottom of the hill (there is a small bait shop immediately to the left of this intersection). Down the next little hill, and over the railroad tracks.

Stay on this main road for about a mile. The power plant will be on your left. The road will make a sharp right at the next stop sign, but you want to go straight along the tracks (through the gate).

Stay on the main road for about a half mile, then you will see a fairly large parking area (20 cars or so) on the right side. There is a big sign here. You can fish the west side of the discharge from this lot.

To fish the east side, you can go up the hill (on the asphalt road, not the dirt road) instead of pulling into the lot. Follow that road through gate and into the power plant grounds. Continue to follow the road until you come around to the east side. About half way down the length of the discharge there is a parking lot.

This is about the best I can do direction wise. It's one of those places I wouldn't have been able to find by accident! Lastly, the main gate is open from 6am to 9pm.