need help catchin striper

Discussion in 'Bass Fishing' started by upncomincatfishking, Jan 7, 2008.

1. upncomincatfishking

upncomincatfishking New Member

State:
    Cheviot Ohio
    there is an old gravel pit by my house and i hear it weas stocked with stripper at one time can anyone give me tips on how to go about catchin one. I would really appreciate it.:wink:

2. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Big jigs and large shad lures have worked for me along with live bait, I'm not primarily a striper guy so I am sure others will have better info.

3. upncomincatfishking

upncomincatfishking New Member

State:
    Cheviot Ohio
    any certain kind of live bait specifically

4. Michael

Michael New Member

State:
    Clarksville TN
    here in tn for live bait we use fresh live shad or skip jacks and drift them down with the current but my self i use a off shore bait caster on a 7 1/2 med heavy rod with 50 pd power pro line and i cast a 6 inch pearl white swim bait on a 1 oz lead head. and at the dams when i go there in the summer for them i use a salt water 6 inch to water popper and cast into the fast current popping it like crazy when they come up-to top on jumps early in the morning and late eve. my colors i use on the top water are red head on whit and black head on chrome. it's very easy to tell when they are hitting on top water they will be hitting the top of the water chasing shad thats when you want top water lures.

5. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Depending on the size of the pit and how long ago it was stocked i would be surprised if any were left to pursue

6. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Stripers need a very unique combination of things to happen for the to be able to spawn in landlocked conditions and most of the landlocked striper populations are maintained in some way by stocking even if there is sporadic spawning taking place from time to time