Need flathead catfish info

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by omots2, Jan 7, 2006.

1. omots2

omots2 New Member

State:
    abrerdeen md
    want to go for big flatheads but do not know where or when is the best time. Its just my son and i for 2or3 days we have no flatheads here in the chessapeke bay thank you omots2 :)

2. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    well bro,

read and post questions in the flathead section. also read and post in your states section. this site has more info than any other site i have come across!

3. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    I agree,No need to scearch,just look around on here and you'll find it :D

4. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    I don't know exactly where you live there but lake marion in SC is a good lake, the ohio river is good, anywhere in the south you can catch them, finding them is the fun part. :D

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Very lethargic in cold water. When 'active', tagging & recovery seems to show that they don't roam widely, but stay in the same section of river or lake. They love woody cover, but when that's not widely available, rocky cover is a very acceptable substitute, particularly holes & ledges. Every flathead I saw in the huge Chattanooga aquarium was on a ledge where there was a bulge overhead, except for one that was under a log.

6. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Jerry, I would love to catch that one in the aquarium, nice fish somewhere around 80lbs I believe. I took some pics last year, but they did not turn out well. THat big one just kinda layed up on the side of the rocks. Makes you wonder huh, why he didnot lay around the logs.

7. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Check out the flathead section for more info, but here is a little...Use live or fresh cut bait, In rivers fish deep water in the daytime, and shallow flats close to deep water at night..Fish structure, be paitent it may take days to catch a big flathead even in good locations.

8. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Or years as in my experience :crying:

9. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I forgot, it took Mellon a long long time :D

10. omots2

omots2 New Member

State:
    abrerdeen md
    I realy do yhank you for all your help in my hunt for mr flathead i think my son and i are going to look into a place called sante cooper lakes.Welive on the upper part of the chessapeke near the head of the bay lots of great channel cats a few blues but no flatties .Again thank you very much and it anybody is every up this way give me a yell and we can take my toon outfor some cats on the bay. :rolleyes: :grin-big:

11. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Santee Cooper is one of the best catfisning areas in the world from what I have been told, and read.

12. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    Usually hit the most covered areas you can find. Shallow areas outside of cover and/or dropoffs produce fish. Stick to the early night to late night hours for better production imo.

13. balddaddy91

balddaddy91 New Member

State:
    East Liverpool,Oh
    I HAVE TO AGREE WITH THESE GUYS ALOT OF GOOD INFO HERE

14. FlatGetter

FlatGetter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I think you need to find a small river. They're easy to get to know, and as long as there aint commercial fishing done there are good numbers.

15. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    West Virginia is not too far from Maryland, The Ohio river is loaded with flatheads in my area (Wheeling). But there is also the Kanawha river and the WV state record flathead came out of the Little Kanawha river. Burnsville lake is the top flathead lake in the state and one of own members is a flathead guide on Burnsville lake. I would wait til late May and early June for best results.