Need feedback

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by Skunk Master, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    I'm probably gonna regret asking this .... But... I'm looking at a 1988 Javelin JC 365 ba$$ boat with a 70 hp Evinrude on it.. 2 fishfinders and a 12/24 trolling motor.. Boat is in good shape and is within my price range.. Whats everybody think.. I know its fiberglass, but besides that part..

2. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Why would you possibly care what anyone else thought of a boat that fits you and is all you need? :confused2: If it is what you want and you like it then buy it, I mean you are buying it for you correct?

3. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    I'm kinda on the fence on this one.. They also have a 1860 Sea Ark with a 50 hp Johnson on it.. But its about twice as much .. Not sure how a 16 ft ba$$boat would handle the river..

4. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Is it new or used?? If used will the owner let you put it in the water to try out or at least go with you. That way you can see how it wil handle out on the river.Personally I'd go with the SeaArk if I had the money.Study and chose wisely.Talking from experence:roll_eyes:

5. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    What he said!!!!!

Twice the price and 10 times the boat, what was the question????

6. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    If your planning on getting on the river I would look at it like this do YOU feel safe in a fiberglass boat thats only 16' long? If so then I don't see any reason why you would even look at the other boat. Doesn't one of the Alton guys fish out of a Bass boat? Talk to him about how it handles the barge wakes and such. I wouldn't buy the SeaArc just because of it's name. I personally would look at it because it's aluminum and a bigger boat. But, that's just me....when we were looking at boats I insisted on an aluminum boat I didn't want anything to do with fiberglass.

7. doodlebug188

doodlebug188 New Member

State:
    ga.
    whats wrong with fiberglass boat?:confused2:

8. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    My old boat was a 15 ft Crestliner Tri Hull Open bow.. But the way it was set up it didn't have much room to move around in.. Of course it wasn't really a fishing boat.. It was made to pull tubes and ski's..

9. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Doesn't like trees floating down the Mississippi River or the wingdikes just below the surface. SeaArk has one of the thickest hulls of all aluminum boats and as a general rule, shrug trees & dike off.

10. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Every time I look at the scratches in my boat I thank god I didn't listen to Debbie and buy a fiberglass boat.

11. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Can you imagine going out and waxing a catfishing boat???:wink: For that matter, imagine carpeting, covered in slime?:wink:
    Ooop's, sorry. Forgot we were talkin about Harry. Don't worry about the slime, Harry, you won't have that problem too much.:wink:

12. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    My boat is covered in carpet Tom, and the few fish that have hit the carpet haven't done any damage so far.

13. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Lets see, Carpet VS. Slime....... Never happen when you are correctly handling and CPRing them fishes. now would it?:wink: :smile2::smile2::smile2: Sides I have some carpet on mine too, left over 3" shag from the days of Swag:wink: You remember any of that Kutter? :smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2: Is good for the slime and gunk to keep building in to the fibers, that way you can just dump a little water on the Bow and then hit the bilge pump and waaaLaaa automatic chum line :smile2::smile2::smile2:

14. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    And you guys probably think he's kidding huh..

15. Dredge

Dredge Member

State:
    Arnold,Missouri
    My boat's an old 1988 aluminum bass boat.It's still got a flat bottom with a modified vee.Yeah,it's got carpet.And yup,it's pretty ugly.I just hose it clean.I didn't like the boat too much at first,but with a40 horse jet,I can run in a foot or less water.Besides,I've modified it some,now I love it.If you like the boat and think you can make it fit your needs,by all means,buy it.If you have any doubt about 'glass,though,consider Seaark or waiting.

16. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Uh let me ba a smert a%% here......uhhhhhh.yer money ...uhh yer chioce...??????????????? Im lost:crazy:You gonna be happy ...uh....safe is good ..lets not ferget that ...and enjoy..????????..this is the great U.S.of A so what is the deal here(still lost) ....... ANY QUESTIONS????that $$$ right????:cool2: I just dont know:confused2: after all yer a catfisher this is a bass boat and fiberglass....hmm I dont know(LOL)I realy dunno:confused2:

17. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Harold, most of the newer bass boats are foam wrapped in a skin of glass to make them shiny. Take a look at it and see if that's the case. Personally, I'd feel a lot safer in one of those that's made of material that floats than an aluminum bathtub that relies solely on displacement to float. That's why mine got all that foam in it this winter. Big difference in knocking a soft spot in the glass when it's solid foam behind it and knocking a hole in an aluminum boat that's just got space waiting to fill with water behind it:smile2:

The motor is the expensive part. I found a 20' aluminum jon (same hull as mine) with a tandem axle trailer for $1500 over here. (Still sitting in the guy's yard if you want me to check it out for you) If you buy the glass boat and decide you don't like it, you'll already have the motor, controls, and anything else you want to swap over to a new hull. Good luck with whatever you get!

18. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Oh, now we know how that leak started.:wink:

19. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    Harold, you have seen my boat. Let me just say that it is your decision but I have a fiberglass boat and any time that you want to fish by yourself it is a pain to find a place to beach it at most ramps. Don't get me wrong my boat floats great and handles waves; but if you want to pull it up on the bank it better be sand. It is just something else to worry about in a river that keeps you on your toes.

20. Dredge

Dredge Member

State:
    Arnold,Missouri
    Thanks for your vote of confidince,Kutter.But,since it has to do with this thread,I broke one of the so-called "thru-hull fittings" running too close to a wing dam when a barge came by.The shop that sold me the part said they rot after a while and become brittle.Something to think about,seeing as a bass boat has quite a few of these little pieces of crap.