Need engine part.

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by corklabus, Mar 1, 2009.

1. corklabus

corklabus New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Some 83 thru 84 S-10's had a 2.5R motor. I am working on a motor out of a Chevy Citation (84)
    What I need is simply the cam retainer plate from any old junk motor and haven't been able to locate one yet because of vehicle age. I'm hoping to find one before resorting to re-fabricating one. This plate is located behind the timing gear on the end of the cam and is removed thru the two small holes in the timing gear. The lifter rods must first be removed and then the entire cam and gear and retainer come out as one piece.

2. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    have you looked into buying the part new? It might not be as expensive as you think. they used that engine for several consecutive years without too many major changes. You might find on in a g.m. dealership fairly resonable...

3. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    I guess you have checked out different auto parts stores.
    my Son has a 1965 Lincoln centennial He is restoring.
    Many auto part stores dont carry or cant get parts he needs, some just dont know how to go about tracing them down..
    So far, his best luck in finding older parts for that car and some others his friends has.
    O'Reilly Auto Parts has been one of his source's.
    Plus, we have auto salvage yards around here called parts you pull it etc.
    might check those out if your area has them. Go look around, you pull the part you need and check out.
    And a good machine shop helps for the make it yourself stuff.
    might look on the internet

hope you find what you need. Good luck

4. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    check out your locale boat store 2,5 wear used by mercruisers for 20 years

5. smokey869

smokey869 New Member

State:
    frederickt
    i wish you had posted this a few months ago, i replaced a 2.5 in a 82 buick in dec and just hauled old one to scrap yard in january, if i come across one ill pull it for you, i bet you gan get one from gm still

6. corklabus

corklabus New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Thanks guys. I didn't think anyone would show much interest in such and old piece of junk.
    It never occured to me they could be used in boats.
    I'll check the GM dealer, but I doubt it in WV without being a major city.....but then they could order and mail it.
    I appreciate the offer to pull one for me, but that's easier said than done unless the timing gear is already off.
    I'm really hoping to locate a junk motor that I can just snatch the entire cam and timing gear out of. It'd make things a lot easier for me if I can find one fairly close to home.

7. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Couldn't have been too bad. Look at the production run. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Iron_Duke_engine Check walk in junkyards in your area. I'm sure you can find an applicable model. Tell them you want it for a core, and you want to rebuild it. Even if it runs o-k, they'll give it to you for core price, Not a running assembly. I wouldn't pay more than $100.00 to $150.00

8. corklabus

corklabus New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Thanks a bunch guys. Problem solved. The dealer actually can get the whole set up, cam, gears and all, so I just ordered new parts. I just didn't think something that old would still have new parts available.