need creek fishing help

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by Navy_Seal, Sep 15, 2009.

1. Navy_Seal

Navy_Seal New Member

State:
    Northeast oklahoma
    Ok so this is my first post. I love the site. ok i dont kno if anybody posted before but, recently i have came across a SWEET spot on the arkansas river, a buddy took me there and we hooked into some monsters but they broke off, i even tried to wrestle one but lost. any way my question is this is a creek, and its not extremely deep, i took a lil boat and i put pop bottle jugs with one hook and i catch the crap out of the channels, i jug all the way to the mouth, but WHY am i not catching any flattys, i need advice if you can help please do, im long over due for a nice flatty thanks

2. simpleokie

simpleokie New Member

State:
    Okla.
    Fish close to log jams or lay down trees for flats, with live perch (bluegill). Thats the best way I know of. Also limb line right in the middle of log jams with live perch. Good luck & welcome to the BOC

3. Navy_Seal

Navy_Seal New Member

State:
    Northeast oklahoma
    thanks ken, ill try that, i never thought of the limbline thing

4. Quackshutr

Quackshutr New Member

State:
    Oklahoma, Collinsville
    Welcome to the BOC! !
    Try live bait, night time and close to the log jams or structure would be my guess.

Q

5. Cherokee Rod Man

Cherokee Rod Man New Member

State:
    Eufaula La
    David, I grew up fishing that river for sure live perch and log jams will produce Flatheads, limblines / throwlines work good at night along the banks. Hope this helps.

6. Navy_Seal

Navy_Seal New Member

State:
    Northeast oklahoma
    thanks leland, im goin to try the throw line/limbline thing at night, i used to always run them during the day

7. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    David
    welcome to the BOC.

Try all of the things mentioned above and you should get into a good flat head.

8. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    How deep is your creek?

9. Navy_Seal

Navy_Seal New Member

State:
    Northeast oklahoma
    it varies, the deepest parts i have found are around anywhere from 10 to 25 feet

10. beakus

beakus New Member

State:
    derby kansas
    i have fished the chikaskia river in northern kay co. the best time for the big flatties is when the flood waters are on the way up and the best bait is hand dug worms,they will out fish store bought ones 10-1,but i have also had good luck on bullheads and BIG perch,i mean the size of your hand.