Need Catfishing information for High water situations

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Scott Graves, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Scott Graves

Scott Graves New Member

we have had a lot of rain, the river is up a lot, were do I need to look for the catfish??

2. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    Scott, you need to look for slack water with structure that will provide a current break for the fish.Humps,holes,trees, rocks...etc.

3. Scott Graves

Scott Graves New Member

Will I need to stay on the bottom of fish off the bottom???

4. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    Scott, as stated above. Look for areas of slack water out of the current and any obsticles that prevent the current from skimming by. Cats will lay out of the current and wait for bait to come through the current. I would suggest staying on bottom because if the river is up, the odds of floating a bait would deplete rapidly. I only float on slow current days and try to really put the bait up next to the snags.

5. Scott Graves

Scott Graves New Member

Thanks for the advice, I will put it to use this weekend.

6. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    Good luck Scott !!. Hey, what is the temp. of the water you are fishing. Just curious because it is about 39 degree water here.

7. Scott Graves

Scott Graves New Member

I live in Columbus, MIssissippi. This weekend it was about 50 degrees. This weekend we are having a local Catfish Tournement. This is the second year, it has got bigger, we have about 15 to 18 boats this year. We fish 1 tournament a month. The grand prize is a Fisher 1648, Mercury 40 and trolling motor. This is put on by a local Marine Shop

8. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Try first fishing on the bottom, if that doesn't work change to a slip float and let the current pull it along the bank in some slackwater or a creek off the main channel.

9. Catchinbiguns

Catchinbiguns Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    I always fish shallow when the water gets up there, learned that from in-fishermen videos.

10. Matt Smith

Matt Smith New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Anchor on the inside of a bend. Throw straight out and let the bait bounce the bottom while swinging downstream. Keep your rod tip up, and when you feel a fish grab it, lower the tip and haul back and cross his eyes. If you don't get a strike, let the bait drift till it's directly behind the boat and let it sit there for a few minutes.

I use cut fish that I catch on the river. Most of my strikes happen right next to the bank.

11. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    If the water is coming up i would work the bank lines look for break waters around trees, rock and thing. I may try a inline float with slip shot or small sinker to help slow the bait down alittle.

12. Rockjumper

Rockjumper New Member

State:
    Parker,Pennsylvania
    I am with Kendrick, I go shallow and do good. Get in a current break. I have had times where the front of the boat is on shore with the anchor out.