NEED Catfishing HELP for this area

Discussion in 'ARIZONA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by blackout240, Nov 11, 2009.

1. blackout240

blackout240 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    hey all im new to this site and im also new to fishin in AZ. I grew up in Idaho and now im down here in AZ. Well me and my buddy have been fishin Lake Pleasant, Barrtlet, and a Canal over on 67th ave. and T-bird, for catfish, needless to say we havent caught anything...not even a bite! We go out around 11pm and stay out till 4am sometimes 6am, but still nothin. Now for the bait were usin, we have some stink bait, and we had some old chopped up catfish, also bought those bagged minnows from wali world. Now i dont have a boat and we fish from shore and i have a lowered honda :sad2: so my access is limited. If anyone out there can help use out with some hot spots or good tips it would be greatly appriciated. Me and my buddy plan on goin back out tonight.

2. pr1mo5

pr1mo5 New Member

State:
    aj arizona
    There are some amazing spots out there from shore but with a lowered car you are in trouble bud. After tonight the weather will be crap for a while but Id say if you go to bartlett fish yellowcliffs camping area. I dont know plez. But the upper salt above roosevelt is probably the best place from shore but with a lowered car........thats not a good place for a car.

3. brianthelion02

brianthelion02 New Member

State:
    arizona
    Just have to hit the bumps faster is all!!! Canals usually produce on average a fish an hour! Try worms in the canal!Stinkbait always works well for me,but i have my own blend!:big_smile: Chicken livers work very well also! Anywhere from shore at pleasant should get you some channels on forementioned bait!:cool2:

4. BubbaCat

BubbaCat Well-Known Member

State:
    Arizona
    :embarassed:use worms:wink: if you don't catch catfish you will catch bait .:big_smile::big_smile:

5. brianthelion02

brianthelion02 New Member

State:
    arizona
    Flathead catfishin is a whole different animal!:eek:oooh:

6. gotabig1

gotabig1 New Member

State:
    arizona
    hay bro i want to start and say welcome to az and the boc. well its just my opion but i would throw the stink bait away i have never had any luck with it. try using chickin livers for channels if there is any in the area thay will find it. and get some worms and try to catch some blue gills if u wana go after the bigger guys aka flatt cats put a gill on a #10 hook with atleast a 3oz weight on a slip rig. if u have a lowerd car i would try bartlett flatts it on the north end of the lake or the agua fria arm out at pleasent u are bound to hook somthing good luck:big_smile:

7. blackout240

blackout240 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    ya im just starting to get frustrated with these az fish, i never have had this much trouble catchin cats...used to just take a lantern or start a fire by shore throw in a line with just about anything on the end of it and poof....catfish. Well i got some chicken liver, anchovies and im cleanin out the crap at the back of the frig so hopefully somethin will bite with the menu i got tonight. Worst thing and outdoors man can do is buy a damn lowered honda:smile2:. But wheres my best bet to find cats? Like on ledges, rocky areas, deep water...ect. Bobbers or bottom?

8. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I would fish with what ever the catfishes forage is. Like Chad said use some gills with the right size hook. Its hard to beat live or cut bait. If you want size dont bother with the dips. Good luck.

9. Rcaarizona

Rcaarizona New Member

State:
    AZ
    OK, couple of things LOL, First off Minnows at wallie world are most likely illegal, unless they are the legal bait minnows that the Game and Fish state are legal. Also, chopped up Channel Cats is also illegal. You can not fish with game fish or any flesh or part of a game fish in AZ.
    Other than that, if you want Channels, chicken liver works great, worms work great (and you can catch all kinds of other fish including Flatheads with worms). Flatheads will hit cutbait, live bait, and worms. They do not generally hit stink bait or liver, although I have seem them hit both. Live bait would be Carp, Bluegills, Sunfish, Waterdogs, and Hybrid Sunfish etc.
    If you fish in the canals, SRP pays $75 per White Amur (Grass Carp) and get pissed when they see you catch them, they want them all released unharmed. Now, I asked the Game and Fish if you can get in trouble with them for catching White Amurs in the SRP Canals, and they said no, but that SRP can kick you off the canal cause it is private property. That was Officer Mcgallagen? (spelling) with the Mesa Region of the Game and Fish Department.

10. jasonhumble7

jasonhumble7 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    You said your cleaning out the frig, not a good idea. Just use live blue gills. That is you best bait for the monsters. Dont wast time with all that other crap!!!

11. catwhisper

catwhisper New Member

State:
    georgia
    Chad did you mean a 10/0 hook. #10 is really small

12. Waterdawg

Waterdawg New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Like Rob said, you can't use game fish for cut bait, but sunfish are ok. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I catch bluegills in urban lakes, freeze them, and use them for cutbait. The regs won't let you catch live bait and take it to another lake, but I think dead bait is ok.

13. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    welcome to the BOC, the knowledge you can gain on here is only limited to your ability to learn. this website is much different than any other forum you have ever seen and i can guarantee that. check out some of the other sections, and ask questions, you will soon be up to speed on when, where and how to catch whatever catfish and type you are looking for. it is amazing how differently you have to fish, to catch a preticular size and type of catfish... best of luck to ya...

14. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Hello Steve, Welcome to the BOC. As with anything there is always a learning curve with you fishing new waters. When you have time review the local post on what everyone is using for bait with their fishing reports and the action they get. The freezer baits and catfish generally do not get good results. Think about it, when is the last time you dug around the back of your freezer to have dinner. Believe me the guys that are posting good catches have put many hours in, generally quiet hours, that is catfishing. Also read post on flats and channels the tactics are different in some areas. You will gain alot of knowledge on this site. Welcome!

15. Rcaarizona

Rcaarizona New Member

State:
    AZ
    u go girl! carp are better, just hard to catch them right size.

16. Rcaarizona

Rcaarizona New Member

State:
    AZ
    According to Jennifer Zuffranieri at the Game and Fish, she says dead cut bait is fine no matter where you caught them.

17. jasonhumble7

jasonhumble7 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Season is almost over rob, When we going to hit one of the hot spots?

18. blackout240

blackout240 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Well that was interesting, so we get out to Pleasant lastnight around 12am up near the north docks. My buddy had a blow up kayak so we took it with us and brought his battery opperated pump to blow it up. When we got there we unloaded the boat and got all the gear ready and went to blow up the raft....but the pump was dead!:confused2: So luckaly i had a piece of garden hose and a funnal...hahahaha sooo we put the hose on the funnal and put it up to the exhaust and waaallllaahh u have a pump:smile2:. But about half way through "pumping" it up we decided it prob wasnt the best idea...so then we went old school and blew it up with lung power...took a while but it worked. Then we descovered we had a hole in it...ugh..so we patched it with duck tape and finally got the dang thing in the water.

As we made our way through this cove we noticed that water was building up in the bottom of the boat....so we booked it to a point and found out that the second layer of the raft had like a drain plug that wasnt there...so we just stuffed some duck tape in it and sealed it with rubber cement but we were all soaked by that time. We Just built a fire on shore and started to fish.

Ok so i went out and bought anchovies, chicken liver, macrol, shrimp, and worms...also found a bunch of nasty stuff in the frig. So we casted in off this point, it had a nice drop off and there were big ass fish jumpin all over the place. I talked to a guy at Sportsman Warehouse and he said if you find where fish are jumpin it means theres shad witch means theres cats, cuz they eat the minnows that dont get eatin.

K guys this is where it gets crazy....we fished everything with all kinds or baits and jigs, top water,chumed the water, and used everything in my tackle box and couldnt produce any fish. We fished from shore and boat, deep and shallow, but nope nothin. I dont know what else to do to catch these cats. We were in a good spot with pleanty of fish around, good time, good bait, dont know what else we coulda done. We stayed out till 7am, 6 1/2 hours of fishin and not get a fish.....this is rediculious!
    Well if anything else it was a blast but i would like to catch a fish eventually.

I appriciate all your guys help.....please keep the tips acomin.

19. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Steven

20. blackout240

blackout240 New Member

State:
    Arizona

Ok everyone is saying to use gills...but didnt u just say its illigal to use game fish for bait...isnt gills a game fish? lol and ya they were those prepackaged minnows