need braid line advice

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by BIG_D, Jan 24, 2010.

1. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    had a rather odd prob with braid last year that lead to me going back to mono but i am thinking about trying it agen the prob was i would cast out and it would pop the line like i put the breaks on it seemed like the line was grabbing its self on the spool i put the line on tight using the ph book trick whats up with this i have never heard of any one else having this prob what am i doing wrong :confused1:

2. brian88b

brian88b Member

State:
    Fairdale, KY
    Dallas1 not sure about that one but it "sounds" to me like putting the braid on so tight might have been your whole problem. Sounds like the braid was actually "digging" in itself on the spool thus causing the "snap" or "break action" you described when it reached a spot where the free line was "dug" down into the spool thus holding it tight. Thats just a guess going by what you said. Personally I just run a couple covers of my spool with mono then pull the braid down through the eyes and connect the two with the uni to uni knot then throw the spool of braid on the floor and reel it up with my thumb and finger holding a "little" tension on the line as close to the bottom eye on my pole I can reach (about 2 ft from my reel) and I have had no such problems and my first trip out with a "freshly" spooled reel I usually try to cast it to China a few times and reel it up just to make sure its laying on my reel right and not to loose or tight etc... then bait up and fish away. Havn't ever had any troubles. Good Luck and hope you get some more tips on this curious to learn anything new myself anytime I can !!!

3. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    Sounds like your knots could be breaking or slipping. It can be hard to get braid to hold a knot sometimes. The double palomar is a great knot for braid, as is a uni-knot that uses 9-12 turns instead of 5 or 6 like you'd use for mono. Some people put a drop of super glue on the knot as well.

After you spool the reel, use some Reel Magic on it or dip it in water. Helps to lube the line and keep it from catching itself. Lots of people will spool it on, then take the boat out, let all of the line out with a weight, then reel it in. Then the whole line gets wetted, and the line pulling through the water puts more than enough tension on the line as it packs on the reel.

4. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    After lining my reel with braid and rigging it, I head out in the boat and just kinda idle my way up the river while letting line out. Then reel it back on and with the weight and current it makes for a nice tight spool and I've had no problems so far. Stay safe and good fishing!!!:flag:

5. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    it wasent the knot breaking it was breaking right at the spool i think Brian hit the nail on the head i think i put it on way too tight and it was just dug in on its self thank you guys

6. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    normally the digging happens when you try to break off also or pull free from a snag. If this happens just wrap the line around a stick and pull so you dont dig in or have minimal

7. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Dallas, it sounds like you just spooled it up too tight. It does NOT have to be EXCESSIVELY tight, but just good and snug.I normally just hold tension on the line between my thumb and pointer finger when spooling up. No issues here. Also, if you backlash, and don't pull ALL the backlash out, your problem can happen. Even large fish don't make the line dig into the spool often. I woulld absolutely recommend that you try the braid again. It is THE ticket, in my opinion.

Bill in SC

8. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    well its a crappie day outside so i think i will stick the braid back on lol

9. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    ok giving it one more chance its back on lightly tight this time will also cut me a broom handle to break loos from hang ups instead of pulling back on reel thanks for all the help
    ps. i also used mono for backing

Attached Files:

10. Dallas, my friend, I also notice a larger dia braid lays beeter too, I use 8o lb power pro. It's also easier to tie. And if you get snagged, put the rod down and use your rubber coated pliers hande to get it out or break it off, jus a few wraps around the handle work good, saves your line and equipment!

11. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
  12. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Hey Dallas!! Did you spool some mono backing on the reel first, before spooling on the braid? I never had issues with braid digging into itself when using mono backing first. Heck, I've used braid down to 2lb. test dia, with no problems. I put the braid on tight too, using my reel spooling machine.

Just asking.
    Thanks..

13. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    yep i had mono backing

14. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    No such thing as putting it on to tight!! When you think you got it on tight it's still got to be tighter. The reason why it can dig in is because it's not on tight enough. Also brand and size has something to do with how braid lays on the reel. I use no backing but I also like to use Sufix braid. The reason for sufix or braid like sufix (tug-of-war) is because it has more strands then Power Pro. The more strands the better it behaves. Another note is when you just simply hold the braid between your thumb and finger while you spool it onto your reel. You are loosing line capacity on the reel. Braid lays on the spool kind of puffy if it's not on as tight as possible. Also soaking your spool of braid in water while you lay it on the spool can help too.

15. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    i disagree you can put it on too tight i loosend it up and it solved the prob so too me that tells me you can put it on too tight

16. brian88b

brian88b Member

State:
    Fairdale, KY
    Glad to hear it Big D !! You give braid a chance and you'll love it, Catch a Hawg !!!!!