need boat transfer info state to state

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Bill in SC, Nov 1, 2008.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Folks, the boat I am getting is in NC. The guy said that in NC, they do all their transfers using the registrations. He has a TITLE for the trailer, which we don't have to have in SC. He has the registration for boat AND motor. Do I just get the registration for boat and motor, with a bill of sale, and present that to the DMV? Or, is there something else I need to consider?
    Bill in SC

2. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    Bill you can call the DNR and they will talk you through the process but I think you have to have a title for boat and Motor plus a bill of sale. If the owner doesnt have a title then SC will probably make you do the song and dance to get one.
    SC requires boat and motor to have separate titles/registrations but nothing for the trailer. SC requires no trailer license plate.
    NC requires boat and trailer to have separate titles and nothing for the motor. NC trailers also have to have license plate.
    Make sure previous owner will go all the way with you to get paperwork finalized through the SC process.
    Good Luck,
    Lindsay

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Thanks, Lindsay. I just went through this with my skiff I bought in Ga. I didn't know how they did it from NC. Can the guy get titles for boat and trailer printed by NC from his registrations?
    Bill in SC

4. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    Bill,
    I dont know all the regs but if he has a reg but no title and sc requires he can send off for a lost title.
    However, as a owner you want to know that the previous owner has a clear title anyway.
    In NC you can go to a licensing agent and not just to the DNR to do title stuff. I would call both agencies on Monday and make sure you are buttoned up.
    Keep in mind to have notary sign and STAMP all of the paperwork. One state requires the stamp and the other a signature is sufficient. I made three trips to get mine completed-one for the stamp.

5. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Thanks, man!
    BB in SC

6. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    You can read up on it http://www.dnr.sc.gov/boating/registration.html (paragraph 4) get forms, and then contact SCDNR. I usually go to the office in Charleston and do it in person. You may be able to visit the office in Florence; not sure if they still handle that stuff or not, but the one in Columbia does.

7. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Thanks, Tommy!
    Bill in SC

8. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    NC just started requiring titles for boats. When I registered my old boat in NC I had the choice of getting a title. My new boat I didnt get that choice and they sent me one. On the registration papers there is a section for bill of sale. It has the Owners info and boat info printed on it. One thing to make sure you do is get him to give you seperate NOTORIZED (just in case) bills of sale for the boat, motor, and trailer. Also break up the cost. I dont know what SC requires, but I had trouble with my first boat getting the trailer registered, cause I had 1 bill of sale and sent that to get the boat registered. Good luck...

From SCDNR website

4) Watercraft - Previously registered/titled and/or purchased from another state

Title in seller's name if seller is from a titling state.
    Current Owner's Registration Card, if available, otherwise, provide the registration number.
    Pencil Tracing, if traceable or Photograph of Hull ID Number.
    Bill of Sale, signed and notarized.
    When purchasing a watercraft from an individual, you are required to pay Casual Excise Tax. The tax is 5% of the purchase price up to $6,000.00. Anything over $6,000.00 caps at $300.00 Casual Excise Tax fee. Please include this fee along with your transfer fee. If purchasing from a dealer taxes are collected by the dealer. If boat and motor are purchased as a unit it is 5% of the total purchase price.
    Completed and Signed Application - ( Adobe PDF format - file size 57Kb)
    Fee of $40 for SC Registration and Title
    Late Fees
    5) Outboard Motor - Previously titled in another state or purchased from another state

Title in seller's name if you are purchasing from a titling state (Mississippi, Missouri, Ohio, Oklahoma, Texas or Utah). If you are purchasing from any other state, send a Bill of Sale or statement explaining how the outboard motor was obtained.
    Pencil Tracing, if traceable or Photograph of Serial Number on outboard motor.
    Bill of Sale, signed and notarized.
    When purchasing an outboard motor separately from an individual, there is no cap. You are required to pay Casual Excise Tax. The tax is 6% of the purchase price. Please include this fee along with your transfer fee. If purchasing from a dealer, taxes are collected by the dealer.
    Completed and Signed Application - ( Adobe PDF format - file size 57Kb)
    Fee - $10 for new title
    Late Fees

9. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    So in other words, if NC JUST RECENTLY started requiring titles, that a notarized Bill of sale with the registrations should do? (One for boat, one for motor) The trailer issue is not applicable in SC as we don't have to have a titled trailer. I just want to have ALL my ducks in a row when I take possession of the boat. I will call the DNR tomorrow. Thanks for all the input and help, folks!
    Bill in SC

10. bruce edmunds

bruce edmunds New Member

State:
    southcarolina
    you will also have to pay the causal exsise tax for the combined cost at 5% .unless you are buying it from a dealer,so you can put a lower cost on the form for cost of boat and motor ,and pay less sc tax

11. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    That's an ALWAYS thing I utilize on EVERY taxable buy I make from an individual who agrees to this.
    Bill in SC

12. Pacman

Pacman New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    The SCDNR office down the road beside the Florence Farmers Market has always been very helpful to me. I once bought a boat that had changed hands twice without registration changes. They walked me through the whole process and even filled out most of the paperwork for me. Nice folks.

13. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Bill get power of attorney form from your bmv (or down load it) and have him sign it in case you need it. Also, when I buy cars out of state..or anything titled out of state. It needs a police check.... I bet it's the same there?... call you lic. branch, explain what your doing and find everything out for SURE... to save a hastle.

14. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    The DNR folks in Florence are nice and helpful like Dewayne said. I will get in touch with them today.
    BB in SC

15. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Just got off the phone with the Florence DNR. They said that if the boat was earlier than the new titling procedure, all I had to do was get the registrations with notarized bill of sale, and pencil tracings of the hull ID# and motor ID#.
    Bill in SC