Need baitrunners

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by countrycat15, Jan 25, 2007.

1. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    hey yall,i am a diehard baitcasting guy,but would like to add 2 new spinning reels to my carp fishing arsnel. it would need to have a baitrunner option and hold some where around 200yrds of 15 pound test for around $30-$50. all opinons are welcome but i am mainly looking for responese from the carp guys,but like i said,all opinons are welcome.thanks

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Hmm, I don't know man, I think your best bet for finding one in that price range is checking ebay or anywhere that sells used ones, they usually cost more then that.

3. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Zakk's right, I think they would cost more. Silstar makes fair baitrunners that are about half the price of Shimano's, which puts them in the $45 range for the smaller ones like what you seem to be looking for. Ebay has several dealers in Silstar. Not sure about any dealers that sell used ones. I bought 3 of the 6500 size, about 5 years ago and use them for bankfishing. Not a very loud clicker, but other than that they are plenty good enough for what I use them for.

4. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
  5. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    got bait caster... 6500, salt gear, diawas, penns, diawa spinning of all sizes, and my best spinning reels are my three shimanos.. w/baitrunners...cost more, but all the rest are copy cats....

bayrunner ray

6. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I like the Okuma Avenger. I have mine spooled with 150 yds of 30# line.

7. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Kenny, Resistancetackle.com has a Daiwa Regal for $40. Heard that it's a decent beginner reel,but also heard that everyone wants to upgrade from it also.
    Cabela's has the Okuma Avenger baitfeeder ABF50. I haven't used the Avenger, but have used the Epixor BF( 3 EBF-50s and 1 EBF-30), and I love the reels.
    Truthfully for the money, I'd go with the Okuma. Only time you'll want to upgrade is when you become a tackle tart.
    Will
    p.s. What kind of pod and alarms are you going to get?

Just about forgot, Resistance is based in NC

8. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Shakespeare use to make a Tidewater Freeliner baitrunner spinning reel, I have one and its pettry nice but it is heavy. There are some other makers of baitrunners like Okuma, Shimano, Penn and some others.

9. shaddaddi

shaddaddi New Member

State:
    smith mountain lake,VA
    Why don't you try a lever drag bait caster?

10. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    Check out the Okuma baitfeeder reels. The Coronado series is fairly cheap.

11. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    i think the reel you're looking for is the okuma coranado cd50 retails for 40 dollars has a baitrunner feature and is an excellent carp reel, at least for me it is.

12. Catman 1964

Catman 1964 New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    Check out Okuna Reels from the Catfish connection. God Bless and good Catfishing.

13. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    shakespeare tidewater, Cabela's salt striker, Penn Captiva, and Okuma Epixor, Okuma Avenger are baitfeeder spinning reel options between $40 and $75...

The Salt Strikers bear a striking resemblance to the Epixor, and is only $60

Shawn

14. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Okuma makes very nice baitfeeders. Check out Catfish Connection.

15. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Active Member

State:
    Cadiz, Ohio
    Name:
    Dale
    Okuma Corrida:smile2: . I own four of these reels. They work excellent for me. I have two BR65's and two BR90's. They are great for carp fishing. Check out the BR50, it probably holds the amount of line that you want. My BR65's are on two 12ft carp rods, and my BR90's are on two saltwater rods. I had to grind a little off of the reel feet to get the BR65's on my carp rods (they were a little wide), no problem:wink: . I also use them at the river for catfish. One of Cabela's 1 3/4lb Predator rods would be perfect with the BR50. If you were willing to shave a little off of the BR65's reel feet it would work great with Cabela's 2 1/4lb Predator rod. Check it out first though, It might fit their rods. Check this out on Ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/OKUMA-CORRIDA-3...IN-REEL-NIB_W0QQitemZ7247128480QQcmdZViewItem.

Her is some other info.
    http://www.reelokumafishingreels.com/corrida.htm

http://www.buytacklenow.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=215

16. Bob R

Bob R New Member

State:
    Woodbridge, VA
    I have a okuma Corronado that I bought for about 50 bucks. The bait clicker has stopped working, and when fighting large fish there is too much flex in the base of the reel. I have caught several blue cats in the 30 to 40 pound range on it and it has allways pulled them in, its just that the flex in the reel isnt very comfortable.

I have had a Shimano baitrunner and had nothing but great luck with it. They are in the 90 dollar range though.