Need Bait??

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by Circlehook Jester, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Circlehook Jester

Circlehook Jester New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I went out to the Wakarusa arm/boat ramp west of Clinton Lake last night (10-12-09). Yes, it was cold and the wind blowing some. There was shad all over back there by the boat ramp. I threw my net and caught most all of them in the 2-3 inch range. They were every where on this river arm. You could see them moving at the surface and all over your depth finder. As I moved up the river to fish, we kept seeing more. I threw my brand new cast net out again and got snagged on an underwater satan. It tore my new net to shreds. I did not curse or yell or say this was BS! :wink::roll_eyes: Anyway, if you need bait, the shad are all over this area right now. I would like to go back and stock up for the winter blue cats.

2. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    u shouldve jumped in after ur net! just kiddin i bet it was cold!

3. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing Well-Known Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    Thanks for the Post. Might head out today to stock up if I get half a chance. If not I'll see what I can find around here.

4. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Don't throw away your net. I've had much better success with a net I repaired. Replace those mono lines with twisted nylon, about the size you'd use for a trotline dropper. It kind of sounds backwards, but I tried using braided dropper line once and it tangled a whole lot more than the twisted nylon. Just tie slip knots onto your lead line and cut the excess about a 1/2 inch from your knot. Then burn the excess off right up to your knot. Then pull your slip knot down tight on the lead line and you're good to go. You're going to like using the twisted nylon a whole lot better than using those mono lines that come on the net when you bought it. If you have holes in your net, just use some braided fishing line to close them up. I always have a little left over after spooling my reels and it works perfect for patching castnet holes. I think braided line works better than mono fishing line for this because I would think the mono would catch on the net and not let it open.

5. liltroy

liltroy New Member

State:
    Salina, Kansas,
    if i take a net i dont catch fish its a jinks:crazy:

6. Circlehook Jester

Circlehook Jester New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I did keep my net. The real problem was the bottom "weighted" part tore almost completely off. I will use some braided nylon to fix this part. I always have a lot of this stuff because i run lines. Thank you for the good tips. Let's see if I can get this thing repaired!! :smile2: